HOGAN-L ArchivesArchiver > HOGAN > 1999-07 > 0932545885
From: irish690 <>
Subject: [HOGAN-L] LALLY, PHALEN, HOGAN, AMARAL, SPEAR, TIRRELL of MASS
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 01:31:25 -0700
Searching for connections to the following families
Anthony LALLY, born abt 15 Dec 1852 Charleston SC, parents were Hugh LALLY
and Bridget O'HEAREN LALLY, both b. IRL, dates unknown. Anthony was a
mariner and m. Mary McDONALD PHELAN/PHALEN, b. Guysboro NS, date and place
unknown. Mary's parents were Thomas Phalen/Phalen, b. NS and Elma BROPHY,
b. St John's NF.
Anthony and Mary had 3 children.
1. Frances C. LALLY, born Gloucester MA, 27 Aug 1878, record later chngd
to read 1877.
2. Charles A. LALLY, born Gloucester MA 29 Dec 1879,
3. John H. LALLY born Gloucester Sep 1882.
Anthony d. Jan 1889. Mary's date of death is not yet known, possibly
between 1910 and 1920.
Frances C. LALLY and. Patrick Joseph HOGAN, b. IRL Mar 1870, d. 27 Feb
1920, were married on 24 Oct 1897 in Gloucester MA. They had the following
1. William A. HOGAN, b. 24 (?) Feb 1898, d. Mar 1973, married Marie
LALLY. removed Gloucester to Brooklyn NY where he became a sugar broker,
they later moved to Greenwich CT.
2. Charles Patrick HOGAN, b. 24 Mar 1900 Gloucester
3. Cecelia Annesa Hogan, b. Gloucester 11 Dec 1901 possibly is the
daughter who joined Sisters of Mercy and took the name Sr Mary DONALD
4. Eleanor/Elinor Marie HOGAN, b. Gloucester 9 Sep 1903
5. James Redmond HOGAN, b. Gloucester 8 Dec 1904
6. Robert D. HOGAN, b. Gloucester 1907
7. Francis L. HOGAN b. Gloucester 14 Feb 1908
8. John H. HOGAN, b. Gloucester 24 April 1910
9. Anne Elizabeth HOGAN, b. Gloucester 14 Nov 1913, known to have married
a FLEMMING and moved to FL, known to have been living in 1990
10. Joseph E. HOGAN, b. Gloucester 22 APR 1916, known to have been living
in PA 1990
*It is believed that at least 1, if not 2 of the Hogan sons removed to NS
to live, at least for a time.
Charles A. LALLY, m. Mary F. AMARAL, b. Western Islands (her 2nd marriage) in
Gloucester on 8 Nov 1903. They had 2 children,
1. John Edward LALLY, born Gloucester 10 May 1907, d. Aug 1975, m. Irene
SPEAR, b abt 1913 in Weymouth, d. 1966 at West Bridgewater, they had 2 sons.
2. Florance LALLY, believed to have been born abt 1910, she married a
William DWYER and later lived in NY, Florance had a daughter and son.
Charles died in 1958 in Boston, and Mary in 1938 in Boston, both buried in
Gloucester at Calvary Cemetery.
Irene SPEAR'S father was William SPEAR. Her mother Annie,(surname unknown)
later married Fred TIRRELLl, possibly of Weymouth also. They had 4 sons,
Robert, Fred Jr, Norman and Richard. Norman b. 26 Apr 1925 and died on 4
Feb 1985 in Mesa AZ. Richard lived and died in the area of Hull Ma. Richard
died in FL, Fred died possibly in NV in 1980.
Any information regarding these families would be most appreciated. I would
especially like to learn when Mary Phalen/LALLY died. ANY info on SPEAR,
AMARAL< TIRRELL and PHALEN/PHELAN would be wonderful, and my apologies to
list members who receive this more than once.
Gena Gates Lally