HOLDER-L Archives

Archiver > HOLDER > 2003-09 > 1063395099

From: teresa stuart de rios <>
Subject: Re: [HOLDER] Johnston CO NC Militia list, who is Joseph HOLDER?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:31:39 -0600

Hi Bill and Maxine,
I think there were 2 distinct HOLDER lines in the 18th century, the German
line and the one from England. The ones in VA were from England (I think)
and also the ones found in the whole tidewater are of VA and Southside VA,
Isle of Wright etc, Bertie, Orange, Johnston CO NC. You have to understand
that some of the HARDIN´s did move to PA, it was not that far from that area
of VA.
A few years ago while corresponding with Larry Keith, he said the Keiths,
and Laffoon´s were living in an area known as "the New Light distrcit" which
bordered the VA line in NC. I have no doubt in my mind that you would find
Bledsoe´s and Holder´s there as well as they seemed to travel together. I
know C. Keith had land in what is present day Meckleburg Co VA very near the
NC line. I think what we need is for someone to make a trip to the Archives
in Raleigh, NC., and also spend some time in Johnston Co NC and Granville.
John BLEDSOE, father in law of John HOLDER was living in Orange Co NC before
moving to Surry Co NC, as seen by his son in law Wm Hardin´s witnessing to a
deed of Bledsoe. I think they were all living around the NEUSE RIVER in NC,
which is so huge and goes to Orange Co. I don´t know who this Joseph Holder
is in Johnston CO but I think he may have been the father of Solomon and
Lewis Holder. The name Solomon makes me think about the Langley connection
out of NC and SC.
Teresa Stuart de Rios