HOLLOWAY-L Archives

Archiver > HOLLOWAY > 2010-01 > 1264228789

From: "Virginia R Abel" <>
Subject: Re: [HOLLOWAY] HOLLOWAYS of KY...
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 01:39:49 -0500

Hi Audrey,
Thanks for this information. I am sure you are aware that Woodford County, Kentucky was once a part of Virginia.

When my g g grandparents, John and Sarah Massey Holloway died of cholera near Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1849. Their 7 children were scattered. The oldest, John, Jr. and my g grandfather, William (age 8), came down the Ohio River on a flatboat to Virginia where some Holloway family lived. Later Kentucky was carved from Virginia. I have not found which families living in Virginia/Kentucky were kin. (This story was told to me by Gilbert Holloway, one of William's g grandsons.) William married in Carrol County, KY and brought a flatboat down the Ohio River to Louisville, KY. He anchored the boat and fished. Each day he walked into town and sold his catch. When he had enough to purchase a farm in Meade County, KY he settled there and raised his family.

My William had a son named George, who died as a child. I am curious, did the George in your story flee for his life and come to America?