HOOKER-L Archives

Archiver > HOOKER > 2001-03 > 0984333717

From: "Roger" <>
Subject: George H. Hooker, 1858-c.1896, Et. Al..
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:01:57 -0600

Greetings All! I'm almost at wit's end trying to find more information about my ggf, George H. Hooker. I have a lot of 'We think' information but very little concrete evidence. Maybe someone out there has heard of George or his family???

Anyway, what we've been able to gather thus far:

We think George H. Hooker was born on Nov 6, 1858 in Knox County, KY, to James Hooker and Barbary (AKA Barbary) Miller. (James is believed to be either the son of Joseph and Rebecca Hooker OR John and Mariah Hooker (all of NC). For the record, we also know nothing about either parents.) Siblings included: Eliza, b. 1848; Columbus, b. 1852; Martha A., b. 1854; Alice, b. 1860; and Mary, b. 1856. By 1860, the family moved to Scott County, IN. After that, we lose George until 1894. At that time, he and his wife, Elvira Ellen Banks (we have almost no info on Elvira, b. Mar 6, 1863; d. May 6, 1929 in Walnut Ridge, AR) buys a piece of land in Stoddard County, MO (we have a copy of the deed). The plot is along the St. Francis River and we think he operated, for a short time, a ferry since his brother, Columbus, owned a similar piece of land on the other side of the St. Francis. Also by this time, George and Elvira have two living children, Clyde Carter Hooker (my gf-b. Jul !
12, 1890, d. Dec 12, 1972) and Nona Faye Hooker (b. Jul 1, 1894). (Another, Toby, b. 1888, died young.) Also, we believe that sometime during his life, he was involved in the lumber business, i.e. as a lumberjack. George then died sometime between 1896 and 1900...again, we think! He was buried in Stoddard County in an unmarked grave in a field. No death certificate is available. Elvira went on to marry a Burnett and we think she ran a boarding house in either NE Arkansas or SE Missouri for a time.

If anyone has any kind of information on this particular branch of the Hookers, I would be forever grateful and would be willing to share what little I have. Thanks.....

Roger Hooker

This thread: