HOWARD-L Archives

Archiver > HOWARD > 2003-05 > 1052250611

Subject: [HOWARD-L] Re: Searching for Howards of NY State
Date: 6 May 2003 13:50:11 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/Aij.2ACEB/4628.1

Message Board Post:

Hi Suzanne,

While I am a genealogy newbie, I'll tell you what I did. Since you are looking for realatively recent family members, start within the family. Is your father still alive? Your grandfather? If not, do you know where your father was born? If you know that, you may be able to get a copy of his birth certificate and the same for your grandfather.

Does anyone in any part of your family have photos, diaries, letters, etc from these people. I have found much information from seemingly innocent letters from family members. For example, I just recently verified some information that was given to me from a woman who claimed to my second cousin (We have never met).

How did I verify it? I'm glad you asked! I have in my possession (It pays to read and reread and reread what you have) a letter from one of my family members to another family member and in it he states things that verify what my cousin said. She doesn't know about this letter, so she couldn't have falsified the information.

Anyway, you just never know. Check family history, Bibles, church records, county vital records (birth, death, marriage, divorce, adaption, etc).

And, of course, we will help in any way we can.

Good luck in your search,
Scott Howard

This thread: