HOWELL-L Archives

Archiver > HOWELL > 2007-12 > 1197177002

From: "Carrie Hoffert" <>
Subject: Re: [HOWELL] Nathan Howell 1825 Oh
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 00:10:02 -0500

Ruth, Gladys & Sherry
I also have Howells that lived in OH in the early 1800s.

They are as follows;
James Howell born I think in OH, NJ or MD between 1760-70, he moved to
Harrison Township, Gallia Co, OH in 1800, he is shown on land records for
1814 in Gallia Co, OH, listed on the 1820 census for Harrison Township,
Gallia Co, OH. In 1825 he moves to Oakley Township, Macon Co, IL, he is
shown there on land records, again on the 1830 census he is shown in Macon
Co, IL, he is shown of land records for Macon Co, IL in 1831, in 1834 he
writes his will in Macon Co, IL.

I THINK, but have not proven that my James Howell may have been the son of
William Howell of Sussex Co, NJ that died in Allegheny Co, MD in 1811.
According to the will of William Howell he had the following sons; Peter,
Sampson, James, David, Levi & Elijah.....he also had 5 daughters. This
William gained the land in MD for the REV WAR service of his eldest son and
it is believed that this son was Sampson. All of the other sons are named
in the Will of their father.

Could this be your David Howell??? I have this David Howell listed as
married to a Susannah Johnson, but do not remember just where I got the info
as this family is NOT a proven part of my James' family yet.

Everything back through and including my James Howell is proven by a number
of our family members in independent family research and family records. I
hope that maybe you recognize some of what I have told you about my James
and there may be a connection.

The family of my James Howell is as follows;
His wife was Sarah No Maiden name
Children;
William 1795-1849 Oakley Township, Macon Co, IL (Amanda Hocomb)
Elijah Howell, 1797-1841, Gallia Co, OH (Rebecca Roadarmour)
James Howell Jr 1802 OH - 1871, Oakley, Macon Co, IL (Jane Alesbury)
John Howell 1805 OH - ? (Elizabeth Jones)
Nancy Howell 1806 OH 0 1834, never married
Daniel Howell 1811 OH - aft 1880 MO? (Elizabeth Abrams) her family was from
Fairfield Co, OH
Sarah Howell 1812, OH - ? (John Miller)
Joseph Howell 1816 OH - 1899 Piatt Co, IL (Mary McCawley & Anna Maria Zinn)
Isaac Howell 1820 OH - 1895, died in IN but was living in Piatt Co, IL
Mary Howell 1825 OH - 1872 Macon Co, IL (William REA)

So those are my OHIO Howells, do they look familiar?

Thanks for reading, hope to hear from some of you soon.

Cheers,
Carrie