HUGHES-L Archives

Archiver > HUGHES > 1998-07 > 0899864270

From: Mike_Miller <>
Subject: [HUGHES-L] Hughes, Andrew 1755-1843 PA, NC, SC
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 22:17:50 -0400

Searching for information on parents, grandparents, siblings of
Revolutionary War Veteran Andrew Hughes, born 1755 'near Lancaster, PA'
and moved to Orange Co., NC before the American Revolution. Enlisted in
Caswell Co., NC and served several tours of duty during the war. By
1790, Andrew Hughes was living in Pendleton Dist., S.C. (now Pickens
Co., SC). He married Obedience "Biddy" ___?___, likely while in NC.
Among their children were:
Andrew (Jr.), Micajah, Charles, Obedience, James W., Elisha, John,
Thompson and Joel. Obedience died during the summer of 1829 and Andrew
married 2nd to Nancy Mauldin in September 1830. Andrew died 1 Sept. 1843
in SC while attempting to transfer his pension to the Georgia agency.
Several members of the family were already in Georgia. Andrew was buried
in the cemetery of Old Pickens Chapel (Methodist) Church.

Although we lack absolute proof of the relationship, evidence strongly
suggests that his parents were Charles and Mary __?__ Hughes. Charles
Hughes was in Orange Co., NC near Andrew and followed him to SC where
large tracts of property were transferred from Charles to Andrew without
any apparent exchange of payment.

Other children of Andrew and Obedience Hughes may have settled circa
1820 in Habersham Co., GA for a time.

If this family sounds familiar, we will gladly share information with
descendants.

Mike Miller

This thread: