HUGUENOTS-WALLOONS-EUROPE-L Archives

Archiver > HUGUENOTS-WALLOONS-EUROPE > 2000-05 > 0957547800

From: "ctduncan" <>
Subject: [HWE] Gelderland Huguenot Connection
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:30:00 -0500

Hello,
I've been lurking on this list for several weeks -- too hesitant to post any
query because my Huguenot connection, if indeed there was one, is so vague.
However, Andrea has encouraged Continental Research so here goes:

My earliest documented ancestor was an Albert Albertsen who in 1638 came to
Rensselaerwyck in New Netherlands from the area of the municipality of
Putten, near Nijkerk in the Netherlands province of Gelderland. He was about
18 years old when he emigrated and had been trained as a "lientwever"
(ribbon weaver). Around 1650 he adopted the surname "ter Heun" (later
Terhune), supposedly deriving this name from some hamlet or geographical
feature by the name of Huinen near Putten. The forgoing is more or less
documented.

Undocumented family legend, on the otherhand, says that Albert's family were
ribbon weavers in Putten and that two generations earlier the family had
been Huguenot weavers in France.

My only chance is to make contact with someone who might know of evidence of
a concentration of Huguenots and weavers in or near Putten, near Nijkerk, in
Gelderland, Netherlands in the late 1500s and early 1600s.

Hoping to get lucky,

Charles Terhune Duncan
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

This thread: