HUGUENOTS-WALLOONS-EUROPE-L Archives

Archiver > HUGUENOTS-WALLOONS-EUROPE > 2002-11 > 1037073789

Subject: Re: [HWE] Huguenot Transport
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:03:21 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, "Carol Spurbeck" wrote:
questions could also
> apply to the land journey. What help did they have
> along the way? Would their helpers be punished etc?

I had forgotten the land journey both outbound and
return.

And now that you have prompted, I suspect all of the
original questions do in fact also apply to the Land
journey from the west (Nomrandie) or from the east
(Strasbourg) and of course from other parts of Europe
to the coast.

I mention the "return" journey.

I know something of this story but again do not know
how my ancestors actually travelled from Hampshire,
Kent or Cambridge across to the coast, what ships they
embarked upon, where they disembarked in Holland or was
it Belgium ?

Our family history tells us that the return journey to
France would take 3 generations to achieve and that the
first generation were not well recieved in Belgium on
their arrival from England.

I hope that others are interested in this search for
credible information which to me is just as important
as knowing that our ancestors was born or died in
England or wherever.

Regards,
Peter Leroy

This thread: