HUNGARY-L Archives

Archiver > HUNGARY > 1998-10 > 0907683648

From: Enike <>
Subject: Re: [HUNGARY-L] Delray, Michigan 1900 Hungarians
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 10:20:48 -0400 (EDT)

I know this is a bit off topic but you should see the area today. It is
absolutely heartbreaking. I live not that far from the area and there
used to be (quite a bit before my time) such a Hungarian vitality there. My
father used to tell us about how the residents used to scrub their
sidewalks and how the community was quite close knit. Now no one lives
there and all of the wonderful buildings that survived in any way with
their signs in Hungarian are burnt out and covered with the gang
graffiti that's so common in Detroit. At various points people started
moving out and live not so far from Delray but not in any real
concentrated form like they used to. There isn't that close knit feeling
either. Some would disagree but my father was at one point a
participant in Hungarian cultural activities in the area but stopped
because he couldn't stand how they constantly betrayed each other behind
their backs. It's truly sad.

I apologize this being off topic but seeing Delray here sparked a few
memories.

Eni

PS Thank you for the census list. It is greatly appreciated.

This thread: