HUNGARY-L Archives

Archiver > HUNGARY > 2001-04 > 0987691700

From: "Stephen Riczu" <>
Subject: [HUNGARY-L] Re: FAY,SZINAI,SZENTMIKLOSI,KORLAT,POTSA,CSUHA,PONGRACZ, Nobility Search
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:48:20 -0400

OF GENERAL INTEREST FOR LIST

The following surnames are noted:
FAY, SZENTMIKLOSY, POTSA, CSUHA, PONGRACZ, SZINAI

The following places are noted:
Janosi, Budapest, Uzapanyit, Usza, Zadorhaza, Zador, Banya, Komjati,
Punkzsentornya, Szobrancs, Budahalasz, Budakalasz, Erzsebetvaros, Erzsebet,
Holtovany, Eszenyi

The following family groups are noted:
Primoczi, Faji, Szentmiklosy, Ovari, Szinai, Korlathelmeczi

The following topics are discussed:
Nemes searches in TERUL MAGAZINE, VASARHELYI CARDS, SZABOLCS NOBILITY
RECORDS, HUNGARY ONLINE TELEPHONE DIRECTORY

**********************************

PERSONAL INFORMATION

Dear Kevin <>:

I was going through my notes and have the following:

Terul Magazine

This was a genealogy magazine that appeared in Hungary briefly before the
war and can be ordered on film by the Family History Library. There is an
index then a series of films for the various volumes available. If you're
in here you're very lucky as there could be a tremendous information going
well back. On the downside, these are usually well-known, possibly Nemes
families.

The name Ilona Fay (Faji) appeared. The (Faji) at the end indicates that
she was from Faj (in Zemplen County?) or was of the family group
known as Faji. (Another spelling of this would be Fayi, the "i" at the end
indicating that they person was from this place). She married Mihaly
Korlath (Korlathelmeczi) possibly in 1679 and they had three children.

Vasarhelyi Nemes Cards

This was a Hungarian genealogist who carded many of the Noble families of
Hungary. His cards were filmed in three parts by the Family History
Library. Some of his information came from Terul magazine and much from
other sources. One good feature of this data base is that it is
cross-referenced and often goes past 1895 when the films of the Family
History Library end.

FAY Istvan:
| b 1859 Janosi
| d 1910 Budapest
| w 1852 Uzapanyit (now probably Uzsa, Vesprem County)
|--- sp SZENMIKLOSY Klementina (Primoczi)
| b 1862 Cziz
|
|1 FAY Elemer
| | b 1885 Zadorhaza (now probably Zador, Baranya County)
| | d 1955 Budahalasz (possibly misread for Budakalasz, Pest)
| | w 1912 Erzebetvaros (now probably Erzsebet, Baranya)
| |--- sp Potsa Ilona
| | b 1892 Banya
| |
| |11 FAY Erzsebet
| | | b 1918 Holtovany
| | | sp ? Szinzi Andras
|
|2 FAY Istvan
| | b 1887 Zadorhaza
| | w ?
| | sp Csuha Klara
| | b 1905 Szobancz (then Szobrancs, Ung now in Ukraine)
| | d? 1953 Cleveland
|
|3 FAY Barna
| | b 1890 Uzapanyit
| | w 1913 Komjati
| | sp Pongracz Ilona (Szentmiklosy & Ovari)
| | b 1893 Punkszentornya

The spellings may not be accurate. I am interested in any information
concerning Szobrancs, Szinai or Szentmiklosy.

Nobility Records, Szabolcs County
Periodically the nemes submitted their genealogy for recording. These are
available for most counties on FHL films. For some reason, there
was also done an nobility census for Szabolcs County. In 1819 there is
recorded FAY Istvan in Eszeny. It might not be unreasonable to expect FAY
in Szabolcs if they are from Faj.

Hungary Online Telephone Book
This is available at matav.hu. There is a problem using this right now
because accents must be put on the vowels. Still, its a place to try.

In sum, the Fay is associates with the Fayi/Faji which may have something to
do with Faj, Zemplen County? My guess is that they were a Nemes family
which opens a few good avenues for research. Consider also looking for a
family crest in the heraldry books. Terul magazine has at least one FAY in
it. The Vasarhelyi cards definitely have FAY in them and their place is
near Demeczer, Vesprem which I believe was the place name associated with
your ancestors. These records are available at the Family History Library.

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

Good Hunting,
Steve Riczu

Researching Counties:
Szabolcs, Ung and Zemplen County
Researching Ancestors:
Balog (Jeke and Kisvarda); Barkoczy; Dancs/Dantsik;
Erdelyi; Fazekas (Szurnyeg); Fekeshazy; Huszan;
Jastrebski; Kobori; Kontza; Kovats (Ajak); Kuczik;
Nagy (Karasz); Nagy (Nyiradony); Pekary; Riczu; Sugo;
Szentmiklosi; Szinai; Timku; Toth (Gyulahaza); Tusai;
Ujjobagy; Zubaly;
Researching Some Related Families:
Batta; Budahazy; Dudics; Halajko; Himics; Ihnat; Korlat;
Kruppa; Makay; Maklari; Mitru; Takacs; Tekes; Tomosvary;
Uzonyi;