HUNGARY-L Archives

Archiver > HUNGARY > 2002-11 > 1038592298

From: Adina Alexander <>
Subject: Re: [HUNGARY-L] Terms of endearment
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:51:38 -0500

Well, I know of one term of endearment, which is probably obvious to many,
but I'll mention it anyway! My great-grandmother was always called "Mamika"
(pronounced MAH-MEE-KAH) by my father, and that pretty much became her name
in the family!

- Adina Alexander

Hungarian/Romanian Surnames: ALEXANDER, ROSNER, KLEIN, FISCHER, ROSENBAUM

On 11/29/02 5:11 AM, "" <> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> To the "rescue", AGAIN !
>
> Thanks for the response, I have been TRYING to remember, for so long...
>
> Sometimes we HEAR things, pronounced, and never know how to SPELL them !
> As was the case - here.
>
> PLEASE thank your son, as HE had been the "translator" of the AUDIBLE - to
> VISUAL, which YOU provided.
>
> - - -
>
> Got any more that you are willing to share ? (without getting TOO "detailed")
>

> ======================
> ( _
> )||=\/|=
> ()
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to recall (years ago) that when my parents spoke with each other,
>>> they
>>> used a few fond terms which I cannot seem to recall the meaning - in
>> English...
>>>
>>> One SOUNDED like "MAYZEM".
>>>
>>> Can SK(Hungarian)S please set me straight on it's meaning, and possibly the
>>> CORRECT spelling ?
>>>
>>> Are there other terms that someone would like to SHARE ?
>>> (With their English translations.)
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> ======================
>>> ( _
>>> )||=\/|=
>>> ()
>>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> just figured it out when my son pronounced the phonetic word for me!:-)
>>
>> M├ęzem: means (my) honey.
>>
>> Joe
>> Equinunk, PA - USA
>>

>> ---
>> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by ezaccess.net]

This thread: