HUNT-L Archives

Archiver > HUNT > 1998-05 > 0895513093

From: MR GLENN A RAILSBACK III< >
Subject: Old stuff
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 12:38:13, -0500

Felicia: Got your message, but no attachment.

I had just loggerd on to send you some updates to Richard Carter Hunt
from info posted 05/18

Richard Carter Hunt b. 28 Jun 1813, Elbert Co., GA d 26 Jan 1892 in
Coal Hill, Johnson Co., AR
Wife 1; Mary Davis Harris (parents unknown - I have a letter written
in 1876 that states that she was a brother of Handy Harris, and a
"Granddaughter of Andrew Pickens" she could be a g granddaughter.
Andrew Pickens mother was Mary Davis.
Children as posted 05/18
Wife 2; Rachel Ann Alexander, Children: Gilbert Gordon Hunt b. 04 Jun
1848 Elbert Co., GA (prior to recorded marriage date of 04 Sep 1848),
David Daniel Hunt b. C 1851 Elbert Co., GA d. C. 1867 ( have never
found burial place, as it was probable in route to Texas. Elizabeth
Hunt b. C. 1853 Elbert Co., GA
Family left Georgia after birth of Elizabeth, and was in Madison Co.,
AR by birth of James Monroe Hunt b. 18 Nov 1854. Martha Alice Hunt b.
09 Jun 1858 Madison Co., AR. Amanda E. Hunt b. 16 Apr 1859 Madison
Co., AR (Amanda Hunt Yates was supposed to have had the Hunt family
bible. This was R C H's daughter, and not dau. of Moses Hullum Hunt.
) Drucilla Hunt b. C 1863 (could have been born in Madison or Johnson
Co., AR) No other information has survived. Rachel Caldonia Hunt b.
08 Feb 1864 in Red River Co., Texas. ( Rachel Ann died in childbirth
with Rachel Caldonia)
Wife 3; Mary Jane Sides m. 09 Jul 1866 in Cherokee Co., Texas (Mary
Jane Sides first husband was killed in Virginia in War Between the
States.
Children: Ellen Hunt b. C 1867 Cherokee Co., TX; Ellen later lived
with Moses "Mose" Hullum Hunt and his second wife Lucinda Ogden.
Infant Son b. 11 Apr 1870 d. 11 Apr 1870. Mary Jane died in
childbirth, and mother and son are buried in a pasture west of Ted
Lee's Store at Horsehead in Johnson Co., AR. This pasture is now
believed to be under the dam at Horsehead Lake.

Richard Carter Hunt, Ruth J. Hunt Ogden, Gilbert Gordon Hunt, James
Monroe Hunt, and Amanda E. Hunt Yates are buried in Liberty hill
Cemetery at Hunt, Arkansas. Moses Hullum Hunt is buried in the
Hardgrave Cemetery near Hunt, Arkansas; John Dawson Hunt is buried in
the Coal hill Cemetery, Coal hill, Arkansas.

The silversmith tools of Richard Carter Hunt were last known to be in
the hands of Julian Hunt, but we do not know what became of them, nor
do we know what became of the Hunt Bible. Thanks to Eugenia Hunt
Meyers, daughter of John Dawson Hunt we do have many letters,
photographs, and recorded data.

Glenn Railsback

This thread: