HUNT-L Archives

Archiver > HUNT > 2000-02 > 0951236606


From: "Arizona Iceman" <>
Subject: Re: [HUNT-L] Place Names in Missisippi !!!
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:23:26 -0700


Hello Angela,
STARKVILLE
The first white settlers on this site were missionaries and trappers;
the missionaries coming on the invitation of the Indians in 1820 to
establish mission schools. These schools were probably the first
agricultural and industrial schools in the south. In 1823 Calvin Cushman
estlished a sub-mission about three miles northwest of Starkville called
Hebron.
From 1820 to 1830 the white population increased as friends and
relatives of the missionaries came, along with a few land speculators and
trappers. Years before the Government Land Sales a few whites had made
friends with the Indians and prior to the Dancing Rabbit Creek Treaty
purchased land direct from the Indians at the same price paid by others a
few year later at the land sales.
About 1831 building began in the Starkville area and in February 1834
the Board of Police purchased twenty-five acres for the town site which they
divided off into lots and sold. The place was then called Board Town
because most of the houses were made of clapboards instead of hewn logs but
in 1835 the name was changed to Starkville for General John Stark, hero of
the Battle of Benington in the Revolutionary War.
The first court met in 1834 under a tree three miles northwest of where
the courthouse now stands. In 1835 Starkville became the county seat and in
the same year built a one-room courthouse and jail on the lot where the
present courthouse is located.
A community house was built nearby which was used for all public
gatherings; serving as a church until the denominations could build one.
The Presbyterians organized in 1835; The Methodist probably the following
year, and the Baptist in 1839.
David Ames taught school in the log courthouse which was probably the
first school in the county other than the mission schools. Some think the
school at Byington, taught by William Walker, was the first school.
The State Legislature granted a charter to Starkville as a town in 1837.
At that time there were four lawyers practicing hre; David Ames, Richard T.
Graves, George H. Flourney and Edward C. Clark. Two physicians, both very
early settlers, were Araunah Bardwell and W.C. Gillespie. In 1852 the State
Legislature incorporated Starkville a second time, making no reference to
the 1837 charter.
On April 25, 1875, the entire business district of the town was burned,
with fifty-two buildings being destroyed by the fire.
In 1879 Dr. Sellers erected the Starkville Institute for Girls. This
school educated most of the girls who lived close by at the time and was
considered the best Seminary in the South.
About ten miles north of Starkville is the site of the first house in
the county, Gibeon, which was built to overlook old Robinson Road. No one
knows the builder of the house or the road but whatever its origin, Gibeon
was a tavern stop on the Robinson Road in 1820 when the route became the
chief artery of travel between Nashville, Tennessee, and Jackson,
Mississippi. At that time, the owner of the house was David Folsom, a
half-breed Choctaw who had moved his family over from Pigeon Roost Road on
the Natchez Trace to live on the newer route.
Here travelers rested overnight and horses were traded for fresh ones.
After the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit, Folsom sold the house to William Shaw
and moved to Oklahoma with his tribesmen. The new host welcomed highway
robbers and honest settlers alike, matching his customers glass for glass at
the bar. Soon the place became notorious for its rowdy character and the
graves of victims who died here in drunken brawls may be found in the old
cemetery north of Gibeon.
UNQUOTE

Angela, I have also decided to send this to the entire HUNT-L to show
possibly one of the longest "town" articles in the book. Thanks for your
inquiry.

Allen Hunt

----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 11:50 PM
Subject: Re: [HUNT-L] Place Names in Missisippi !!!


> Allen,
> Please tell me about the town of Starkville,MS. from the book.
> Thank you so much.
> Angela
>

This thread: