HUNT-L Archives

Archiver > HUNT > 2010-08 > 1282029185

From: "adhunt" <>
Subject: [HUNT] HUNT Family Newsletter - For the family line called: The 14- August 2010
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:13:05 -0700

HUNT Family Newsletter

For the family line called:

The 14

August, 2010

Many years ago, I undertook the project of publishing a Hunt Family
Newsletter containing information on the families of the line that we
traditionally call, The 14.

I would like, one more time, to generate this monthly, or quarterly,
newsletter and offer it to all who are interested in reading the contents.
It is also my hope that many of you will offer input to this endeavor. I
will certainly be glad to give credit to any and all contributors for
information provided to this effort.

To begin discussions, I can trace my ancestors of The 14 line as far back as
I can go, and then come back forward towards this time in history. And then
we will talk about what is missing my the database that I have maintained on
the Hunt line called The 14.

My name is - Allen D. Hunt, b 24 Apr 1936;

My father was - Allen F. Hunt, b 12 Sep 1911;

His father was - Herman Hunt, b 26 Nov 1889;

His father was - Thomas Sumpter W. "Papa Daddy" Hunt, b 1858;

His father was - George McDuffie Hunt, b 1833;

His father was - William Lacy Hunt, b 2 Jan 1792;

His father was - Esli Hunt, b 10 Jan 1759; one of the original 14 children
whose parents are not known for sure. However, speculation has it that the
father of "The 14" may have been - Dr. Thomas Hunt, b ab 1730.

The Siblings known as "The 14" were:

1. Jesse Hunt, b 29 Jan 1755; Bedford Co, VA; d 1824; near Franklin,
Simpson Co, KY;

2. Uriah Hunt, b 3 Mar 1757; Bedford Co, VA; d 7 Oct 1824; Washington Co,
TN;

3. Esli Hunt, b 10 Jan 1759; Bedford Co, VA; d 8 May 1837; Greenville Co,
SC;

4. Mary Hunt, b 18 Feb 1761; VA;

5. Thomas Hunt, b 5 Jul 1762; VA; d 1826, Washington Co, TN;

6. William Hunt, b 12 Dec 1763; VA; d bet 1829-1833, Augusta Co, AL;

7. Asenath "Sene" Hunt, b 15 Sep 1765; VA; d Washington Co, TN;

8. Joel Hunt, b 20 Dec 1766; VA; d 1834, GA;

9. Peter Hunt, b 15 Jan 1768; VA;

10. Elizabeth Hunt, b 20 Nov 1769; VA; d bef 1840;

11. Moses Hunt, b 29 Mar 1771; VA;

12. John Hunt, b 30 Jan 1773; VA; d aft 1850, Allen Co, KY;

13. Benjamin Hunt, b 29 Aug 1775; VA;

14. Phoebe Hunt, b 12 Jul 1776;

The list of "The 14" siblings was found pasted into a Jackson family Bible,
owned by Mrs. Wilkes of Springfield, TN. The Bible was purchased by Harding
of Philadelphia, PA, 1862, indicating the list was saved after 1859 and
pasted into a new edition.

Source for names of 14 Hunt Siblings; a page found pasted into a

Jackson Family Bible

A brief background was provided by William M. Hunt, November 1986.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Esli S. Jackson was the son of Mahala (HUNT) Jackson, daughter of John Hunt,
born 30 Jan 1773, and wife Mary, [note: "Jarvis" was speculation heard by
Eubank sisters, not tradition in their family. wmh - 5 Nov 2001]

Also from the same Bible:

Stephen Jackson was born 18 Apr 1811. Mahala Hunt was born 1 Jul 1813.

Stephen Jackson and Mahala Hunt were married 17 Nov 1835.

E. S. Jackson married Mary E. Smith 28 Nov 1858.

E. S. Jackson died 24 Jun 1912.

Additional Information:

E. S. Jackson is buried in Simpson Co., KY. Family information gives his
middle name as Sanford. In April of 1985, Mr. Bill Ross Hunt, now of Clarks
Fork, Idaho, traveled to TN to take color photographs of the Bible. [note:
photos sent to William M. Hunt.] In October of 1985, Mr. and Mrs. Roy E.
Hranicky of Orange Grove, TX, traveled to TN and made photo copies of the
Bible.

Note: The format used to list the births of the 14 Hunt children makes it
appear to have been copied from a Bible extant in 1830, and seen by E. S.
Jackson. In 1830, public primary records prove Esli, William, Joel, Moses,
and John Hunt were still alive. Esli lived in SC; William in AL; Joel in
GA; Moses and John in Simpson and Allen Do's, Kentucky. In 1832, Esli Hunt
applied for a pension for service during the Revolution. Under oath, he
stated he was born in Bedford Col., VA, in 1759, and had a Bible to prove
his age. The court proceedings do not mention the Bible was ever examined.
Esli Hunt was allowed his pension in 1833, and he died in 1837. Sometime in
the late 1950's, Vinnie Hunt Williams, and Mary Copeland of SC, both
descendants of Esli Hunt, searched for this Bible and tracked it to the
owner only to learn the Bible had been burned in house fire the previous
year. This information, taken all together, is good reason to believe there
was a Hunt Bible in existence in 1830, from which Esli S. Jackson could have
copied the list of the 14 Hunt siblings. Also obvious is that Esli Jackson
was the namesake of Esli Hunt and the unique Biblical spelling of the name
is identical.

The list of the 14 Hunt siblings was brought to the attention of researchers
about 1959, by the late Miss Mildred Olivia Eubank, of Franklin, KY, who was
a descendant of John Hunt, b 1773. Miss Jewell Eubank, sister of Mildred
Eubank, personally copied the list and stated there was a note in the margin
which read "Thomas Hunt of England was the father." This note was not found
anywhere in this Bible in 1985. In 1985, W. M. Hunt questioned Miss Jewell
Eubank about this note and she said it may have been written on a scrap of
paper. The source remains unknown and to-date, research has not been
successful in proving a Thomas Hunt was the father.

What is equally mysterious is the name of the mother. I have never even
heard of any tradition. The surname of Henson is seen in VA and TN, and
because Esli, Thomas, and Moses Hunt each named a son Henson, I have often
wondered if their mother had been a Miss Henson. Little research has been
done on this question.

by William M. Hunt, November 15, 1986, who assumes all responsibility for
transcription errors.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In Retrospect, November 5, 2001

Based on correspondence and/or statements currently appearing on websites,
it should be understood Mildred and Jewell Eubank never accepted the
"missing note" as proof for the name of the father of the 14 Hunt siblings.
Mildred Eubank offered a $100.00 reward to anyone who could supply proof and
about two weeks before she died at age 89 October 13, 1985, in a letter to
this author, she stated, "I don't care what the Old Pappy's name was, I want
to see the proof!".

Mildred Eubank was an accomplished genealogist, M. A. from West Virginia
University, studied Library Science at Peabody College in Nashville, TN,
held memberships in numerous Lineage Societies, and listed in Who's Who in
Kentucky Genealogy.

William M. Hunt, November 5, 2001