HURST-L Archives

Archiver > HURST > 2007-03 > 1174248699

From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [HURST] Garrett Hurst
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:11:39 -0400

Hi Garland and all,

The "Descendants of Fugate Clark" at
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/pulaski/bios/clark3.txt says he died
on June 30, 1862. Maybe he died from injuries later. Of course, this doc
says he and Nicotie were married in Cooke Co., TX, no doubt wrong. I have
both Clarks, father and son, as John William Ross Clark. I doubt if the son
was adopted by Garret Hurst, since he always used the name Clark.

Garrett Hurst and family were in the Pulaski census on August 8, 1870, so
their trip to TX had to be after that.

Bill Hurst

>Hazel,
>
>I transcribed the newspaper articles you found posted on findagrave so we
>could include them in our notes. This new information poses some
>interesting
>questions on the family of Garrett Hurst 1845.
>
>We now know that Nicotia Qusenberry was first married to a J. W. Clark who
>was killed at the Battle of Seven Pines during the Civil War. This battle
>was
>fought on 31 May 1862 and 1 Jun 1862. This means that J. W. was killed on
>one
>or the other of these dates. I chose 31 May. This would of course
>indicate
>that the individual we have listed as William Clark Hurst born 1 Sep 1862
>was a
>step son of Garrett Hurst. He may have been later legally adopted but is
>listed in both the 1870 and 1880 census as a Clark and not a Hurst. I
>believe he
>was likely born in Pulaski County, Virginia, but find no record of his
>birth
>in the Pulaski County, Birth Index.
>
>I also believe that Garrett Hurst married Nicotia Quesenberry in Pulaksi
>County, Virginia about 1866. I can find no record of this marriage,
>neither can I
>find a record of her marriage to J. William Clark.
>
>Since the narrative indicates that they had four children when they moved
>Texas, I believe that William Clark, Samaria, Garrett, and James Hurst were
>these children and all were born in Pulaski County, Virginia. No record.
>Since
>James was born 10 Aug 1870 this would mean that the family probably made
>the
>journey to Texas in the fall of 1870. This seems to track with a cold wet
>winter spent in Collin County, Texas.
>
>Wish we had marriage and birth records. I have posted this on the Hurst
>list
>in the hopes that some descendant might come to our assistance.

This thread: