HURST-L Archives

Archiver > HURST > 2007-06 > 1182871650

From: "Karen Pritchett" <>
Subject: Re: [HURST] Spencer Breeding Sr - Correction
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:27:30 -0700

Garland - not ignoring you....just digesting and trying to track where I got the info I had. The Hurst/Stone/Breeding/Standifer bunch was one of the first groups I worked on more than 12 years ago, and much of my info was hard copy and never entered into the computer. In addition, in my early days I wasn't diligent about entering sources (my first software had HORRIBLE capabilities and I foolishly thought I could rely on my memory...lol). I do know that the Byron/Nancy info came from Cecil Vance,but can't remember how he reached that conclusion.

Another descendant of John and Elizabeth Stone Breeding sent some info (also hard copy) that seemed to point to the Byron/Nancy marriage. There was some talk of a semi-scandal at the marriage of first cousins, and further talk that a pregnancy preceded the marriage. Of course, John 1797 would also be a first cousin. I knew that Fulkerson said John 1797 was a son of John 1760, but didn't have the other sources and can't remember why we went the other way. I shall have to dig thru my file cabinets for the other stuff, as it seems there is certainly more support for your conclusion than I can produce for ours.

At some point there was a family Bible (through the Stone side) that perished in a house fire 40-50 years ago. If I am understanding your conclusions correctly, you and Hazel have Edward Breeding as the father of James, (Spencer) and John Breeding Jr. I am also curious as to how John Breeding Jr can be a Junior if his father is Edward Breeding. How do you place John Bryant Breeding? It would seem more logical that John Breeding Jr 1760 would have a father named John, perhaps John Bryant Breeding, but logical doesn't always mean anything. Also, the only brother I had for James Breeding 1735 was Spencer, if there actually was a brother named Spencer and he was not a nephew.

Sometime before 1999, someone emailed me a "genealogy report" that seems to indicate that Byron was also known as John, married Nancy, daughter of Spencer and Betsy....with many other oddities that don't seem to match what has been put forth in more recent years. Although that computer is long gone, along with the full name of the supplier, I saved it as "Breeding by Holland" and seem to recollect the name as Julie Holland. I will send you this off list as I can't send attachments to the list. It is sourced, but almost exclusively from Old Time Tazewell, Fulkerson Notes and the Claiborne County Historical Society publications. The Cecil Vance info I mentioned before is NOT sourced in the form in which I received it.

I think I'm confusing myself more as I go along, so will stop and try to collect my thoughts. Will send that attachment forthwith directly to you.

Karen