HURST-L Archives

Archiver > HURST > 2007-07 > 1184097824

From: ,
Subject: Re: [HURST] NC/SC/GA/AL Hursts
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:03:44 -0000

Author: DanRHurst
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.hurst/1688.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hello Renee,

(I send this with the understanding that I cannot vouch for its accuracy, and, certainly better research is needed. Those with better and more accurate info need to respond. It is only meant to open up possibilities for your research, and correction is welcome.)

Looking at the 1880 Cobert Co, Alabama census I find a JOHN HURST b. 1865 listed as living in the home of a step-father named RYLARD VANDEVER. I assume this is your John. Obviously, John's father was deceased. It lists John's parents as both born in Alabama - so, it must be his grandfather who was born in GA.

Also listed in that 1880 census for Colbert Co is a JOHN R. HURST b. 1816 in Georgia, and wife EASTER C. HURST b. 1817 in TN. Also listed in Colbert county census is a THOMAS HURST (and family) b. 1841 in Alabama, whose father was born in GA and mother b. in TN. Also listed is a JOHN S HURST (and family) b. 1846 in Alabama, whose father is listed b. in GA, and mother b. in TN. (No doubt brothers, and sons of John R. Hurst and Easter) Along with them is WILLIAM B. HURST (and family) b. 1831 in GA, whose father is listed b. in GA, and mother b. in AL. (Is he also a brother, and son?)

Looking in my data (googling "Tuscumbia"), (although extremely distant from my SC/AL Hurst line) I did locate information of an ?ELIZABETH CLARISSA HURST, born March 16, 1847, in Burke County, Georgia, who can be found in Tuscumbia. I thought since she was born a "Hurst" and then located to the same area, she might possibly be related to your John. She married SHELBY GRISHAM December 20, 1866 in Morgan County, Alabama. He was born October 20, 1839 in Morgan County, Alabama and died August 16, 1924 in Colbert County, Alabama. Elizabeth died July 30, 1919, in Tuscumbia, Colbert County, Alabama, and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Tuscumbia, Alabama. Is she possibly an aunt to your John?

Looking further, my data records Elizabeth was said to be the daughter of ?JOHN D. HURST, born June 1, 1816, in Burke County, Georgia. He married ESTHER "CAROLINE" McCORKLE on January 11, 1838, in Burke County, Georgia. (Is this the "Easter C. Hurst" listed in the 1880 census above?) She was said to be the daughter of Joel McCorkle and Elizabeth Waddell. But, my data says Esther was born October 22, 1816, in Burke County, Georgia, not TN (small conflict). She died September 23, 1893, in Russellville, Franklin County, Alabama. John was a successful farmer. John died July 26, 1897, in Russellville, Franklin County, Alabama, and is buried in Robinson Family Cemetery. In the 1850 census it is noted that neither John nor "Caroline" could read or write.

What is more interesting is, my info also says John's sons were named William Marion Hurst, Thomas Alexander Hurst, and John Sevier "Dock" Hurst. Is this the "William, Thomas, and John Hursts" and families in the 1880 census above? Are these the same families? Could there possibly have been another son deceased who was father to your John?

I certainly cannot say your John is related to these Hursts mentioned, but with Elizabeth Hurst Grisham being in "Tuscumbia" about the same time as your John, it stuck out that these Hursts in the census and these Hursts I find in my data are one and the same. And your John certaily could be named after a grandfather.

If so, (and I do not vouch for the accuracy here) John D. Hurst was said to be the son of ?MAJOR HURST, born February 4, 1795, in Duplin County, North Carolina (some say Burke County, Georgia). He married CLARISSA ELLISTON February 4, 1813 in Burke County, Georgia, daughter of Robert Elliston and Sarah Mills. She was born July 1, 1796, in Burke County, Georgia. In the early 1820's, Major with his brother Henry came to Franklin County, Alabama. Major settled near the Old Ebenezer Community, what is known as the Brady Hill home place. In the early 1840's he and his wife Clarissa moved to Etawamba County, Mississippi. Clarissa died March 6, 1882, in Russellville, Franklin County, Alabama. Major died November 1, 1846, in Etawancha County, Mississippi.

Major Hurst was said to be the son of ?JOHN JACOB HURST who was born in 1767 in Duplin County, North Carolina. John was married two times. He first married BLYTHE GODBEE. She died in 1806 in Duplin County, North Carolina. Next, he married ELIZABETH "BETTY" HEATH. She was born in 1751 in Duplin County, North Carolina. They had three children. She died in 1806 in Burke County, Georgia. John died September 30, 1831, in Burke County, Georgia, and is buried in the Hurst Family Cemetery.

John Jacob Hurst was said to be son of ?WILLIAM HURST born in 1742 in Bertie County, North Carolina, the only known son born to John (3) Hurst and Judith Moore. There is a question as to his year of birth. His sister, Mary Hurst, born in 1744 in Bertie County, North Carolina, married Thomas Green October 3, 1764, in Bertie County, North Carolina. William married SARAH OLIVER, born to John Oliver and Sallie ______. William resided in North Carolina. (Many say he is the William Hurst who served in the Revolutionary War and was given a land grant in Bedford County, Tennessee for his services. He is said to have left North Carolina to become one of the first settlers of Tennessee, along with Colonel Bradley Martin and Captain Matthew Martin. He is then said to have returned to North Carolina where he also is said to have owned land in Wayne County, North Carolina.) His grave is said to be in Duplin County, North Carolina.

William Hurst was said to be son to ?JOHN (3) HURST, said to be was born in 1713 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, (or Duplin County, North Carolina). He died in 1769 in Bertie or Duplin County, North Carolina. Although Judith had a son by a previous marriage, there are only two clearly known children born to John (3) and Judith. But there are intriguing tidbits of information indicating other iblings, and much needs to be researched about John (3) Hurst. John's wife, JUDITH MOORE, daughter of Epaphroditus Moore, was previously married to William Wilson of Northampton, North Carolina, who died in 1744. His will was filed in January of 1745 with the Secretary of State. Judith's only son by that marriage, Elisha Moore Wilson, (born in 1775 after his father's death) was raised by John Hurst and Judith and is known to have lived in Halifax, North Carolina. He would have been a step-son to John and a half-brother to John and Judith's other children.

John (3) Hurst is said to be son of ?JOHN (2) HURST (son of John (1) Hurst b. 1635 VA and Dorothy Knight) was born in 1683 (some say 1672) in Isle Of Wight County, Virginia. He married MARY ________. The following information is recorded:

Title: Wills & Administrations of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, 1647-1800