HUSTED-L Archives

Archiver > HUSTED > 2006-11 > 1164567256

From: "Patrick Chefalo" <>
Subject: Re: [HUSTED] Revolutionary War Records
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:54:16 -0500

Beverly,

Thanks for your research. I agree that there must be two Davids in those
military records.

At the same Fort Klock link, I later found these records:

Name and Rank, Regiment and Company
Hewstead, James, corporal Crane
Hewsted, James, corporal Crane Sconeld
Hewsted, Thadeus, private Crane Chapman
Hughsted, Thos., corporal Thomas Moseman

The only Thaddeus I have in period is the Husted born 1758 to the Peter born
after 1712. However to my knowledge this line stayed in CT during the
Revolutionary War era. The soldier is probably the one found in 1800 in the
enumeration district of North Salem and York, Westchester County, NY, count
3-0-3-0-1|1-1-1-1-0 but darned if I know where he was in 1790, or who his
father is. He might be the one in Clinton in 1810. It also might be that he
is James' brother though since they served in the same regiment.

Then we have this re the Davids, an account of a 1934 tea:

"Mrs. Poor seems to have a historic connection to that church. Saint Paul's,
in Eastchester or Mt. Vernon, the town it now seems to be identified with,
is famous as the birthplace of freedom of the press. (Get out your history
books and look up Peter Zenger!) Mrs. Poor's father, Edward Van Zandt Lane,
was, apparently, a member of The Sons of the American Revolution. His
soldier ancestor was David Hustice. David was a pew holder in Saint Paul's
Episcopal Church."

from http://www.acorn-online.com/news/publish/article_1163.shtml

This David apparently is the one from Eastchester, Westchester County,
mentioned in my last note so it seems unlikely (if the Sons of the American
Revolution were the LEAST bit careful) that this is the one whose title was
forfeited. I haven't found any records of other Davids in Westchester in
period unfortunately.

The Robert I have tentatively identified as the one in Stephen Town, Albany
County, in 1790, was born about 1760. His 1790 count of 1-1-2-0-0 is
believable as his eldest son was born circa 1786. His father was the David
found later in Herkimer County, and is the putative captain from Albany
County. Robert is also found in Herkimer County in 1810, but 1800, who
knows?

Perhaps the group can help us sort through the Revolutionary War soldiers,
Loyalist and Patriot, in the family? I know for instance that Jabez Husted,
son of Moses and Susannah Mead was a Loyalist ... seems like there could
have been others.

Thanks,
Pat