Huguenot-L Archives

Archiver > Huguenot > 1999-09 > 0938277131

From: "Linda McNish" <>
Subject: Re: [Huguenot] SERRE/THIBOU/VARIN/HORRY/DUBOIS-- Part IV
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:32:11 -0400

There are Vereens in Horry County and I believe they are descended from
Jacques Varin. Below is most of the Varin/Vereen data that I have. I hope
it helps:

Descendants of Jeremie Varin

Generation No. 1

1. JEREMIE1 VARIN (Source: Todd, Marion C. [], Jacques
Varin (1650-1689), a joiner, married Susanne Horry (1659-1725) in France or
London. She was the daughter of Samuel and Jeanne DuBois Horry and was from
Chatell, Switzerland. Jacques was the son of Jeremie Varin, a Huguenot of
Rouen, Normany, France. Jacques and Susanne arrived in Charleston in 1690 as
part of the Petit-Guerard Colony. They had two sons who lived to adulthood,
Jeremie and Samuel Varin.) was born in Rouen, Normandy, France.

Child of JEREMIE VARIN is:

2. i. JACQUES2 VARIN, b. 1650; d. 1689.

Generation No. 2

2. JACQUES2 VARIN (JEREMIE1) was born 1650, and died 1689. He married
SUSANNE HORRY in France or London, daughter of SAMUEL HORRY and JEANNE
DUBOIS. She was born 1659 in Chatell, Switzerland, and died 1725.

Children of JACQUES VARIN and SUSANNE HORRY are:

3. i. SAMUEL3 VARIN, b. 1683, SC; d. 1745.

4. ii. JEREMIE VARIN, b. 1675; d. 1710.

Generation No. 3

3. SAMUEL3 VARIN (JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) (Source: Todd, Marion C.
[], He moved to the north side of the Santee River and
died there. His plantation was along the present Georgetown-Williamsburg
County line. According to church records, he had a son, James Varin, who
died at age one. His will was signed November 1, 1744. The will named a
daughter, Anne E., wife of Francis Harbin, and granddaughters, Martha and
Elizabeth Crousby, daughter of a deceased daughter.) was born 1683 in SC,
and died 1745.

Children of SAMUEL VARIN are:

i. JAMES4 VARIN.

ii. ANNE E. VARIN, m. FRANCIS HARBIN.

5. iii. DAU VARIN.

iv. ELIZABETH VARIN, m. ? HARBIN.

4. JEREMIE3 VARIN (JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) (Source: Todd, Marion C.
[], He moved from Charlestown to the Parish of St. Thomas
and St. Dennis in Berkeley County. He is buried in that church cemetery.
>From church records and from his will, he left two children, Jeremiah Vereen
and Mary Vereen (June 23, 1709/10-?). His widow remarried and had at least
one other child.) was born 1675, and died 1710. He married JEAN EVENS.

Children of JEREMIE VARIN and JEAN EVENS are:

6. i. JEREMIAH4 VEREEN, b. Jan 06, 1706/07; d. 1768.

ii. MARY VEREEN, b. Jun 23, 1709.

Generation No. 4

5. DAU4 VARIN (SAMUEL3, JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) She married ? CROUSBY.

Children of DAU VARIN and ? CROUSBY are:

i. MARTHA5 CROUSBY.

ii. ELIZABETH CROUSBY.

6. JEREMIAH4 VEREEN (JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) (Source: Todd,
Marion C. [], ...moved from the Parish of St. Thomas and
St. Dennis to a plantation on the Santee River near his uncle Samuel. Mr.
Andrea [Leonardo Del Andrea] believes the family changed the spelling of its
name from Varin and other variations to Vereen around the 1770s.) was born
Jan 06, 1706/07, and died 1768. He married (1) MARY ?. She died Jul 26,
1733. He married (2) MARY COACHMAN (Source: Todd, Marion C.
[], She inherited lands at Singleton Swash.).

More About MARY ?:

Burial: Church Cemetery of St. Thomas and St. Denis in Berkeley County, SC

Children of JEREMIAH VEREEN and MARY ? are:

7. i. WILLIAM5 VEREEN, b. Nov 03, 1729, St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish; d.
Sep 20, 1789.

ii. ELISABETH VEREEN, b. Nov 14, 1731; m. JOHN SULLIVANT.

iii. ANN VEREEN, m. ? JENKINS.

iv. SARAH VEREEN, m. ? LEWIS.

Children of JEREMIAH VEREEN and MARY COACHMAN are:

8. v. JEREMIAH5 VEREEN, b. Jul 04, 1745; d. Jul 04, 1808.

vi. EBENEZER VEREEN (Source: Todd, Marion C. [], ...had a
plantation on the Pee Dee River near Yauhanna in Georgetown County. In a
marriage contract signed Sept. 8, 1784, he married Catherine McIver
(MacKiver). Catherine could have been a widow as there were no trustees. Two
of the witnesses were Thomas MacCullough and Elizabeth
MacCullought--possibly relatives.), d. Bef. 1791; m. CATHERINE MCIVER.

vii. REBECCCA VEREEN.

viii. HANNAH VEREEN.

ix. RACHEL VEREEN.

x. JEAN VEREEN.

xi. MARTHA VEREEN.

Generation No. 5

7. WILLIAM5 VEREEN (JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) (Source:
Todd, Marion C. [], He was active in the Revolution,
furnishing supplies and assisting Gen. Francis Marion in securing food and
forage for his men and horses. ...He died on the Horry Strand and is buried
at the Island Landing cemetery.) was born Nov 03, 1729 in St. Thomas and St.
Denis Parish, and died Sep 20, 1789. He married ELIZABETH LEWIS Nov 20,
1754. She was born Nov 30, 1734, and died Jun 07, 1779.

More About WILLIAM VEREEN:

Burial: Island Landing Cemetery, Horry Co., SC

Military service: Revolution

Children of WILLIAM VEREEN and ELIZABETH LEWIS are:

9. i. WILLIAM6 VEREEN, b. Jan 27, 1756; d. Nov 13, 1812.

ii. CHARLES VEREEN (Source: Todd, Marion C. [], They had
no children. His home was at Withers Swash. He owned several large
plantations in both Georgetown and Horry.), b. Oct 29, 1757; d. 1811; m.
MARY ?.

More About CHARLES VEREEN:

Military service: Soldier, American Revolution

10. iii. JEREMIAH VEREEN, b. Jun 03, 1760; d. Aug 14, 1813.

iv. JOHN VEREEN, b. May 12, 1765; m. JANE ?.

11. v. DANIEL VEREEN, b. Aug 20, 1777; d. 1830.

vi. MARTHA ELIZABETH VEREEN, b. Abt. 1762; d. 1786; m. DANIEL MORRALL.

vii. ELIZABETH VEREEN, m. NATHAN HUGGINS.

viii. MARY VEREEN.

8. JEREMIAH5 VEREEN (JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) (Source:
Todd, Marion C. [], ...was a soldier in the American
Revolution. He was a sergeant under General Francis Marion. He is buried in
the destroyed cemetery at Windy Hill. His wife was Susanne Blanchard
(uncertain if middle or maiden name). He hosted President Washington in
Washington's tour of the states. the court Minutes of Horry County show that
Heremiah died in 1808. His children were William, Alexander, John Ephraim,
Elizabeth (m. Robert Livingston). Jeremiah and his wife are buried at Windy
Hill.) was born Jul 04, 1745, and died Jul 04, 1808. He married SUSANNE
BLANCHARD.

More About JEREMIAH VEREEN:

Burial: Windy Hill

More About SUSANNE BLANCHARD:

Burial: Windy Hill

Children of JEREMIAH VEREEN and SUSANNE BLANCHARD are:

12. i. WILLIAM6 VEREEN.

ii. ALEXANDER VEREEN, b. 1772; d. Bet. 1790 - 1800.

13. iii. JOHN EPHRAIM VEREEN, b. 1775; d. 1839.

iv. ELIZABETH VEREEN, m. ROBERT LIVINGSTON.

Generation No. 6

9. WILLIAM6 VEREEN (WILLIAM5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2, JEREMIE1)
was born Jan 27, 1756, and died Nov 13, 1812. He married ELIZABETH HUGGINS
(Source: Todd, Marion C. [], Trustees to the marriage
contract were Nathan Huggins and Robert Huggins.) 1790.

More About WILLIAM VEREEN:

Military service: Soldier, American Revolution

Children of WILLIAM VEREEN and ELIZABETH HUGGINS are:

i. CHARLES W.7 VEREEN (Source: Todd, Marion C. [], A
William Vereen of Choctaw Co., MS signed a power of attorney concerning
Charles' will, so William may be a son.), d. 1834; m. MARIS ?.

ii. JEREMIAH VEREEN.

10. JEREMIAH6 VEREEN (WILLIAM5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2,
JEREMIE1) was born Jun 03, 1760, and died Aug 14, 1813. He married ELIZABETH
RAVEN DANIELS, daughter of ROBERT DANIELS and AMELIA ?.

Children of JEREMIAH VEREEN and ELIZABETH DANIELS are:

i. ROBERT DANIEL7 VEREEN.

ii. MARY ANN VEREEN.

iii. JAMES VEREEN.

iv. ELIZABETH LEWIS VEREEN, d. Jun 25, 1854.

v. MARY MARTHA VEREEN.

vi. SARAH G. VEREEN.

vii. AMELIA L. VEREEN.

14. viii. JOSEPH JEREMIAH VEREEN, b. Jul 16, 1812; d. Nov 08, 1872.

11. DANIEL6 VEREEN (WILLIAM5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2, JEREMIE1)
(Source: Todd, Marion C. [].) was born Aug 20, 1777, and
died 1830 (Source: Todd, Marion C. [].). He married HESTER
?.

More About DANIEL VEREEN:

Burial: Windy Hill (Source: Todd, Marion C. [].)

Residence: Between Singleton Swash and Little River

More About HESTER ?:

Burial: Windy Hill (Source: Todd, Marion C. [].)

Children of DANIEL VEREEN and HESTER ? are:

i. MARTHA REBECCA7 VEREEN, d. Bef. Dec 17, 1845 (Source: Will of Martha R.
Dewitt, signed Nov 17, 1845; rec'd Dec 17, 1845, Will Book C, p 7, Box 9,
Bundle 3 Horry District, SC., Wit.: Peter Vaught Senr, James Smith, Joseph
W. A. Vaught. Sister in Law Mary Hemingway, Nephew Daniel V. Hemingway,
nephew Wm H. L. Hemingway, Neice Hester An Vereen, daughter of my Brother
Charly Vereen; nephew Jos. G. W. Dewitt; brothers Charles & Wm P. Vereen;
grave of husband Jessee G. Dewitt.); m. JESSEE G. DEWITT; d. Bef. May 24,
1844 (Source: Will of Jesse G. Dewitt, signed Jan 17, 1844; rec'd May 24,
1844. Will Book C. Page 3., Box 2, Bundle 3 Horry District, SC, Witnesses:
Mary Hemingway, Solomon S. King, Wilie Cofsee. Friend Peter Vaught and wife
Martha Rebecca are Exors.).

15. ii. CHARLES VEREEN.

16. iii. WILLIAM PINCKNEY VEREEN, d. 1855.

iv. HESTER VEREEN, m. WILLIAM HENRY LEWIS HEMMINGWAY.

v. SARAH LEWIS VEREEN.

12. WILLIAM6 VEREEN (JEREMIAH5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2,
JEREMIE1) He married ELIZA PORCHER WILKES Abt. Oct 15, 1800.

More About WILLIAM VEREEN:

Residence: Guendalos Plantation

Children of WILLIAM VEREEN and ELIZA WILKES are:

17. i. WILLIAM7 VEREEN, b. Abt. 1800; d. Abt. 1830.

ii. ANN G. VEREEN, m. JAMES R. ERVIN.

18. iii. MARY ELIZA VEREEN.

13. JOHN EPHRAIM6 VEREEN (JEREMIAH5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2,
JEREMIE1) was born 1775, and died 1839. He married (1) JANE LIVINGSTON,
daughter of THOMAS LIVINGSTON, SR.. He married (2) MARY ANN DEWITT, daughter
of JOSEPH DEWITT, SR.. He married (3) FRANCES HARRIS, daughter of JOHN
HARRIS and HONOR SMITH.

More About JOHN EPHRAIM VEREEN:

Residence: Long Bay Plantation No. 2 and Windy Hill

Children of JOHN VEREEN and JANE LIVINGSTON are:

i. THOMAS LIVINGSTON7 VEREEN.

ii. SAMUEL PORTER VEREEN, m. REBECCA WILSON.

iii. WILLIAM HENRY GREEN VEREEN, m. CHARLOTTE ANN FULLWOOD.

19. iv. SUSANNE BLANCHARD VEREEN, b. Jul 11, 1810; d. Sep 10, 1874.

Children of JOHN VEREEN and MARY DEWITT are:

20. v. JEREMIAH7 VEREEN, d. 1858.

vi. ELIZA JANE VEREEN, m. JOSEPH ALSTON HEMINGWAY.

21. vii. JOSEPH DEWITT VEREEN.

viii. JOHN EPHRAIM VEREEN, JR..

Child of JOHN VEREEN and FRANCES HARRIS is:

ix. JACKSON HARRIS7 VEREEN.

Generation No. 7

14. JOSEPH JEREMIAH7 VEREEN (JEREMIAH6, WILLIAM5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN,
JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) was born Jul 16, 1812, and died Nov 08, 1872. He married
SUSANNE BLANCHARD VEREEN, daughter of JOHN VEREEN and JANE LIVINGSTON. She
was born Jul 11, 1810, and died Sep 10, 1874.

Children of JOSEPH VEREEN and SUSANNE VEREEN are:

i. AMANDA8 VEREEN, m. FRANCIS JUSTICE.

ii. JOHN F. VEREEN, m. LUCY PERMENTO.

iii. BENJAMIN F. VEREEN, m. BETTIE LIVINGSTON.

iv. JEREMIAH J. VEREEN, m. MARTHA BELLAMEE.

v. MARTHA A. VEREEN, m. JOHN GAUSE.

vi. CALEDONIA VEREEN, m. MAHAM VEREEN.

vii. HARTFORD JENNINGS VEREEN, b. Apr 12, 1849; d. Oct 01, 1902; m. FLORENCE
C. FRINK.

More About HARTFORD JENNINGS VEREEN:

Burial: Little River Methodist Church

More About FLORENCE C. FRINK:

Burial: Little River Methodist Church.

15. CHARLES7 VEREEN (DANIEL6, WILLIAM5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN, JACQUES2,
JEREMIE1) He married CHARITY ?.

Children of CHARLES VEREEN and CHARITY ? are:

i. DANIEL8 VEREEN, m. FRANCES BRIDGERS.

ii. WILLIAM P. VEREEN.

iii. JOSEPH A. VEREEN.

iv. CHARLES J. VEREEN.

v. HESTER ANN VEREEN, m. MATTHEW LINGUISH.

vi. SARAH C. VEREEN, m. H. E. DOYLE.

vii. MARY JANE VEREEN, m. GEORGE MILLS.

viii. COSTELLO D. VEREEN, m. A. C. LEWIS.

ix. CYNTHIA J. G. VEREEN.

16. WILLIAM PINCKNEY7 VEREEN (DANIEL6, WILLIAM5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN,
JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) died 1855. He married (1) ELIZABETH BELLAMY. He married
(2) MARTHA G. ?.

Child of WILLIAM VEREEN and ELIZABETH BELLAMY is:

i. ELIZABETH8 VEREEN.

Children of WILLIAM VEREEN and MARTHA ? are:

ii. CAROLINE JANE8 VEREEN.

iii. SARAH MARY VEREEN.

iv. CHARLOTTE ANN REBECCA VEREEN.

17. WILLIAM7 VEREEN (WILLIAM6, JEREMIAH5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN,
JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) was born Abt. 1800, and died Abt. 1830. He married MARY
COSTELLO DONNALLY, daughter of PATRICK DONNELLY and ANN WAITES.

Child of WILLIAM VEREEN and MARY DONNALLY is:

i. WILLIAM JEROME8 VEREEN, b. May 09, 1829; d. May 23, 1877; m. EUGENIA
MICHEL MCNAIR; b. Jun 25, 1835; d. Feb 10, 1905.

18. MARY ELIZA7 VEREEN (WILLIAM6, JEREMIAH5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN,
JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) She married JOHN DANIEL MAGILL.

Children of MARY VEREEN and JOHN MAGILL are:

i. ANN REBECCA8 MAGILL, m. ROBERT A. MITCHELL; b. Charleston, SC.

ii. CHATTIE MAGILL, m. ROBERT ALSTON; b. Atlanta, GA.

19. SUSANNE BLANCHARD7 VEREEN (JOHN EPHRAIM6, JEREMIAH5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3
VARIN, JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) was born Jul 11, 1810, and died Sep 10, 1874. She
married (1) JOSEPH JEREMIAH VEREEN, son of JEREMIAH VEREEN and ELIZABETH
DANIELS. He was born Jul 16, 1812, and died Nov 08, 1872. She married (2)
JOHN THOMAS HEMINGWAY.

Children are listed above under (14) Joseph Jeremiah Vereen.

20. JEREMIAH7 VEREEN (JOHN EPHRAIM6, JEREMIAH5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3 VARIN,
JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) died 1858. He married SARAH RAVEN STONE.

Children of JEREMIAH VEREEN and SARAH STONE are:

i. JOHN WESLEY8 VEREEN.

ii. MARY A. VEREEN.

iii. ELIZA J. VEREEN.

iv. CALVIN CALHOUN VEREEN.

v. JEREMIAH KELLY VEREEN.

vi. ANN M. VEREEN.

vii. HEZEKIAH MAHAM VEREEN, m. CALEDONIA VEREEN.

21. JOSEPH DEWITT7 VEREEN (JOHN EPHRAIM6, JEREMIAH5, JEREMIAH4, JEREMIE3
VARIN, JACQUES2, JEREMIE1) He married (1) SARAH ?. He married (2) SUSAN A.
LEE.

Child of JOSEPH VEREEN and SARAH ? is:

i. WILLIAM JOSEPH8 VEREEN.

Children of JOSEPH VEREEN and SUSAN LEE are:

ii. SUSAN D.8 VEREEN.

iii. LEMUEL VEREEN.

iv. JAMES S. VEREEN.

v. SAMUEL P. VEREEN.