Huguenot-L Archives

Archiver > Huguenot > 2005-10 > 1128378331

From: Ray Timmons <>
Subject: Rev. Elias PRIOLEAU birthplace - found
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:29:05 -0400

OK, hold on. Your date did it!

PRIOLEAU is listed as the official for almost all Pons entries from
Oct. 1648 until Sept. 1654. The 1 Jul 1652 entry is for the son of
Samuel PRIOLEAU named Helie. This would of course be Anglicized to
Elias. (Named for his Grandfather, Rev. Helie/Elias MERLAT.)

I should have seen this, but somehow had the wrong birth date in my
mind.

Thank you very much!

Ray
===

HF Prioleau wrote:

> Ray
>
> I have Rev. Elias/Elie PRIOLEAU born 1 Jul 1652 in Pons, Saintonge, France
>
> However, his father, Rev Samuel PRIOLEAU, was Pastor at Jonzac from 1637, Niort from 1642, and followed Jean CONSTANS at Pons in 1654.
>
>>From these dates, it seems more likely Elias was born in Niort (the town for which you have no records)
>
> Thanks for this observation. Unless I hear some more evidence, I will assume all of Samuel's 7 children were born in the town where Samuel was Pastor.
>
> Best
>
> Horry
> Horry Frost Prioleau
> Piedmont, CA