Huguenot-L Archives

Archiver > Huguenot > 2005-10 > 1130195292

Subject: Re: [Huguenot?] Garrett - Girard
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:08:12 EDT

In my family the belief that the name Garrett was French and possibly
Huguenot has been handed down.

I have been reading this list for some time and have not seen any mention of
either of these names. My ancestor is John Garrett b. late 1600 m. Susannah
Burton d. 1744 in Amelia Co. VA. I have reason to believe that he might have
been born Jean Girard.

Many years ago I received this information in a note from Hester Garrett, a
well known Garrett researcher, "The Registar of the Births, Deaths and
Marriages of the French Church of New York 1688-1804
Page 43 1688 Jean (John ) son of Issac Girard (French for Garrett) and Marie
Roubin was baptized 26 July.
Pg. 83 Jacob Salle son of Abraham Sallee & Olive Perriau was b. abt 1701

It is known that the Abraham Salle family went to Manakinton in VA. Could
you possibly check the NY records to try to find what happened to Issac, Marie
and John Garrett (Girard) It could be that John went to VA. with Sallee. He
would be about the right age to have m. and had a child by 1719. His first son
was Issac and it was the custom to name the 1st son for father's father, 2nd
for father etc. so it could be that John since I haven't found
him in VA until the birth of his children in Bristol Parish Church Register."

Do your records mention either of these names as being French Huguenot?

Thanks in advance,
Norma Kleitsch

This thread: