Huguenot-L Archives

Archiver > Huguenot > 2005-10 > 1130374298

From: Julie <>
Subject: Lahew, Lahue, Layhew, Leahew, Lehew, Lehugh, Leyhew, etc
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:51:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello!

I've been trying to find out where my mother's side of the family originally originated. Rumor has them as being Huguenots but I haven't heard of anyone actually having proof on this and I don't really know where to look, what CDs I should be looking for, or books, etc.

The most information that I have is from a book my relatives did in 1967 which says "...if we are correct in assuming that Peter Lehew of Front Royal was the son of Nicholas Lehew (Lehugh), whose name appears in records of Northumberland Co., Virginia as early as 1688. There does, however, seem to be a tradition among most groups bearing any form of the name Lehew that it was originally a French name. The spelling "Lehew" is, of course, a corrupted form of whatever the original French name was. The letter 'w' is rarely to be found in French except in words taken from other languages."

it goes on saying that Lehew might be completely different from the original name and that they looked in the Paris phone book and found LeHoux, Leheux, and Lehu, and (I think this is cool) "a list of French soldiers who took part in the American Revolution we added these spellings: Lehue and La Huee."

any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Julie