IA-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L Archives

Archiver > IA-CENSUS-LOOKUP > 2003-09 > 1063288071

From: "Cheryl Westfall" <>
Subject: Re: [IA-CENSUS-LOOKUP] Clinton or Crawford/1870/EVISON-various spellings
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:49:47 -0700

Any particular years??

Cheryl

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sue Renkert" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 12:13 AM
Subject: [IA-CENSUS-LOOKUP] Clinton or Crawford/1870/EVISON-various
spellings

> I would very much appreciate a lookup for Clark EVISON (EVERSON,
EVESON, EVENSON), age 28, wife Mary Elisabeth, age 22, and three
children, probably in Clinton County or Crawford County.

> Thank you very much!
>
> Sue

> In the U.S., a census has been taken every 10 years from 1790
through 1990. All censuses taken after 1920 are still confidential and
the information they contain is not open to the public. The census
from 1790 through 1840 only named the head of the household and the
numbers of people in categories - 3 males over 16, 2 males under 16,
etc. The census from 1850 through 1920 lists each member of the
household and usually gives the relationship to the head of the house.
It also gives age (later years give birth month and year) and place of
birth (usually just the state or foreign country). The 1890 census was
almost totally destroyed by fire so there is a 20 year gap between
1880 and 1900.