Archiver > IA-CIVIL-WAR > 2005-10 > 1130086000

From: "Jeanne Surber" <>
Subject: Elwood COATE, 2nd Iowa Cav, Co. I
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:46:40 -0700

A little more on Elwood -- I subscribe to a slightly different Civil War
database that has added info about his death and burial place. Other
information is identical to what Sue has already listed.

Residence Marshall County IA; 20 years old.
Enlisted on 3/26/1864 as a Private.
On 4/9/1864 he mustered into "I" Co. IA 2nd Cavalry
He was Mustered Out on 9/19/1865 at Selma, AL
Other Information:
born in 1843 in Ohio
died 4/22/1923
Buried: Fairhaven Cemetery, Orange County, CA
Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:
- Roster & Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of Rebellion
- Research by Gordon Bricken
(c) Historical Data Systems, Inc. @ www.civilwardata.com

Jeanne Surber

> The only information appearing in the rosters on Elwood Coate is that he
> served with Company I, 2nd Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, enlisting at the age of
20 on
> March 26, 1864, and mustering April 9, 1864. He was born in Ohio; his
> residence was listed as Marshall County, Iowa, at the time he enlisted.
He mustered
> out of the service on Sept. 19, 1865, at Selma, Alabama.
> Sue
> If anyone have any information on Elwood COATE, Company I of the 2nd Iowa
> Cavarly, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.
> Tom Prost

This thread: