IA-CIVIL-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > IA-CIVIL-WAR > 2005-10 > 1130086000

From: "Jeanne Surber" <>
Subject: Elwood COATE, 2nd Iowa Cav, Co. I
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:46:40 -0700

A little more on Elwood -- I subscribe to a slightly different Civil War
database that has added info about his death and burial place. Other
information is identical to what Sue has already listed.

ELWOOD COATE
Residence Marshall County IA; 20 years old.
Enlisted on 3/26/1864 as a Private.
On 4/9/1864 he mustered into "I" Co. IA 2nd Cavalry
He was Mustered Out on 9/19/1865 at Selma, AL
Other Information:
born in 1843 in Ohio
died 4/22/1923
Buried: Fairhaven Cemetery, Orange County, CA
Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:
- Roster & Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of Rebellion
- Research by Gordon Bricken
(c) Historical Data Systems, Inc. @ www.civilwardata.com

Jeanne Surber

> The only information appearing in the rosters on Elwood Coate is that he
> served with Company I, 2nd Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, enlisting at the age of
20 on
> March 26, 1864, and mustering April 9, 1864. He was born in Ohio; his
> residence was listed as Marshall County, Iowa, at the time he enlisted.
He mustered
> out of the service on Sept. 19, 1865, at Selma, Alabama.
>
> Sue
> If anyone have any information on Elwood COATE, Company I of the 2nd Iowa
> Cavarly, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.
> Tom Prost

This thread: