IA-CIVIL-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > IA-CIVIL-WAR > 2008-01 > 1199672162

From: "David Wildman" <>
Subject: Re: [IA-CIVIL-WAR] questions about pension file for Robert OVERTON
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:16:02 -0800

Erin,

The following is taken from the Roster and Record of Iowa Soldiers. You
might find it interesting to know the circumstances of your ancestors death.
Good luck with your pension search.

Overton, Robert. Age 21. Residence Carlisle, nativity Indiana. Enlisted Aug.
23, 1861.
Mustered Sept. 6, 1861. Died of disease April 13, 1862, New Madrid, Mo.

September 24, 1861, the regiment embarked on board transports at Davenport,
for St. Louis, arriving there on the 27th. Here it received its arms,
uniforms and camp equipments, and on October 1st was ordered to Cape
Girardeau to aid in fortifying that place against a threatened attack of the
enemy. From Cape Girardeau, the regiment engaged in an expedition which
resulted in the dispersion of a rebel force under the command of Gen. Jeff
Thompson. November 12th it was ordered to Bird's Point, and from that place
engaged in several expeditions, in one of which—near Charleston—it had a
sharp encounter with the enemy, resulting in a loss to the Tenth Iowa of 8
killed and 16 wounded. * The regiment suffered greatly while at Bird's Point
from sickness, the prevailing and most fatal malady being measles, the
aggregate loss from November 12, 1861, to March 4, 1862, being 96 by death
and by discharge on account of disease. It will thus be seen that in less
than six months the regiment had suffered a loss of 120 men in killed and
wounded and by death and discharge because of sickness. It was repeating the
experience of the Iowa regiments which had preceded it, in the loss of a
large number who could not withstand the hard conditions to which they were
subjected by the change from the comforts of their home life to the
hardships and exposure of the camp and the march during a winter campaign.

Dave Wildman