IA-RAILROADS-L Archives

Archiver > IA-RAILROADS > 2004-09 > 1094077454

From: "Elaine" <>
Subject: Re: [IA-RAILROADS] Railroad Accidents in the early 1900's
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:24:14 -0700

I have several ancestors who worked on the railroad. Three were killed in
railroad accidents. One of them was in Des Moines in 1908. He was a
switchman and was working sitting on top of the last car in a string that a
switch engine was moving and the cars lurched and he fell underneath and was
run over. This was in the Des Moines yards of the Great Western Railroad.
Another (younger brother of the first man) was an engineer and was killed
near Clinton in 1932 while driving the train. He was speared by a loose
board from an oncoming train on the next track. An uncle of these 2 was a
brakeman and was killed in a fall from a train out of Council Bluffs in
Nebraska in 1888.