IACLAYTO-L Archives

Archiver > IACLAYTO > 2007-05 > 1179813373


From:
Subject: [IACLAYTO] [Clayton Obituaries:] Jacob H. Scrogum
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 01:56:13 -0400


This is a Message Board Post. Reply to the message or author by clicking on
the link below.

***************************************************************************

MESSAGE: (#157726) Jacob H. Scrogum

<http://iagenweb.org/boards/clayton/obituaries/index.cgi?rev=157726>;
AUTHOR: Chuck Runneberg
DATE: 5/22/2007 at 01:56:13

Surnames: SCROGUM

North Ia. Times April 1909

Jacob Hanley Scrogum

Born in Fulton, Callaway co., Mo., Sept 7th, 1845, He was the son of William
Scrogum and Elizabeth (Hereford) Scrogum.

When he was one year old his parents removed to Rock Island Ill., where he
received his education, and where on March 1, 1865, he was married to
Charlotte Fischer, who was born in Ortorf, Prussia, Germany.

Mr. Scrogum and his wife became residents of McGregor, in August following
their marriage, he working one year in the Seely & Shaw sash factory. Then he
located in business for himself, and built a home on the shore of the
Mississippi River, about a mile north of North McGregor, in a beautiful
Sheltered nook.

Ten children were born of this union, two dying in infancy, and a son William
dying a year ago last February. The living are : Mrs H. A. Schurtzman, Mrs
Chas. Johnson, Mrs M. E. Grady, Kathryn Scrogum, Charles, George, and John
Scrogum.

No one in this part of the state had a wider acquaintance among men in all
lines of business, or a greater number of friends, and it has always been said
of him, "he never made an enemy."

He was one of the best known fishermen along the Mississippi River, and
conducted the most extensive fish business west of the great lakes. He began
in this business at the time of locating here, and, beside supplying for
domestic use, he shipped to all parts of the country, and furnished the
steamers plying the river.

He Established, in connection with this a grocery store at his country home,
where boats were supplied with every kind of fresh produce. When the steamers
whistled for Scrogum's Landing, and a boat sent in for supplies, they knew
that the best in the land was in readiness for them. Of late years he has been
a heavy shipper to eastern cities.

Of all the fishermen along the river, the U. S. Fish Commissioner chose Mr.
Scrogum to gather and ship specimens of the Mississippi River fish, for the U.
S. Fish exhibits at the Worlds Fair in Chicago, and at the Jamestown
Exposition.

In the year 1875 he was elected a member of the board of education, and in
1881 was elected President, a position he held for several years.

In 1880 he was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, being the only
Democrat elected that year, and during the eighteen years he held this office
he endeavored to serve the people for their own benefit, more than his own.

He ran for the Government, the light-house on Scrogum's Island, the beacon
light shining brightly for the pilots.

For about five years, some fifteen years ago, he ran a grocery store in the
Burke block, then removed it to the supply store at Scrogum's Landing. He was
a very liberal man toward all, and never was one in trouble or in hunger
turned from his hospitable door.

When the Methodists here were raising funds for building of their church, he
was one of the largest contributors, and has always, in various ways, been a
liberal helper in raising the church funds.

The winters of 1904-05, and 1905-06 he spent in Florida, near Jacksonville and
Ft. Meyers. While there he contributed several interesting letters to The
Times.

It was with profound sorrow the word announcing the seriousness of his illness
was received. The highest medical skill was in attendance, combined with the
assistance of a trained nurse, but it was the Master's will that the busy and
beloved man should pass to that sleep that knows no awakening. And after just
a few days' illness, he passed peacefully away, Sunday evening, May 2nd at
7:15, surrounded by his family, with the exception of one daughter who is at
the hospital at McGregor.

To the widow, who is also ill, and to the children who mourn with her the
sincerest sympathy of all is extended, and a prayer for strength to be given
her, is raised to the Almighty Father.

The services were held at the family residence, Tuesday afternoon at two
o'clock, Rev. Wyatt preaching a most impressive sermon, taking his text from
1st Timothy, 1st Chapter. The choir sang the old fashioned hymns he loved.
He was a member of the I.O.O.F. Itasca Lodge, No 111 of McGregor, and the
following brother members were pall bearers: W. R. Brown, J. A. Walter, Q. A.
Sloane, G. A. Anderson, E. Bergemyer, D. G. Benjamin. Interment was in Oakland
cemetery.

Beside the widow and children who survive the deceased are: three sisters, Mrs
Nancy Murrey of Moline, Ill.: Mrs Julia Fleahearty of Hardrick, Cal.; Mrs .
Lucinda Alters of Colorado Springs, Col., and a half brother Ephram Selby, at
Knoxville, Iowa.

There were many appropriate and beautiful floral emblems and flowers from
friends, and a beautiful "Gates Ajar" from the citizens.

Card Of Thanks

We wish to express our appreciation of the many kind words, and assistance
received from our friends in this, our great bereavement, and to thank them
for the many beautiful flowers.

Mrs. J. H. Scrogum,

Children and grandchildren


This thread: