IAJACKSO-L Archives

Archiver > IAJACKSO > 2006-02 > 1139502425

Subject: Re: hankemeier
Date: 9 Feb 2006 09:27:05 -0700

Surnames: Hankemeier, Hanke
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/5k.2ADE/229.583.1.1.2

Message Board Post:

My great-grandmother was Caroline Louise Hankemeier born 1856 in Pinckney Township, Warren County, Missouri. Her parents were Charles and Mary Hankemeier. Her grandparents were Anton and Fredrica Hankemeier (on the 1850 US census). His brother was Philipp.

Caroline married Henry Olson in 1873. He was born in Sweden in 1844. They moved to Pine City, Minnesota, and had a total of 7 children. My grandfather Robert was the youngest born 1891. He was six months old when his mom died of typhoid in 1891. Henry continued to raise the family. You can find them in the 1900 US census in Pine City. In 1911, he brought his two youngest sons to Saskatchewan, Canada, to take out homesteads. You can find them in the 1911 Canadian census (which is free). This is the link: http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1911b/e084/e002096057.pdf
Henry is listed as speaking German. Two other children also came to Saskatchewan. Henry returned to Minnesota where he died in 1915.

Robert married a Swedish girl, Martha Linder, in 1927. They had four boys, one of whom was my father. Most of Robert's family continues to live in Canada but we are quite spread out from Ontario to British Columbia. I live in Saskatchewan where I teach grade 6.

Do you know where the Hankemeiers lived in Pinckney? I would be interested in taking my mom and dad down there if there was something or someone to see. I have seen Henry and Caroline's wedding picture - one of my dad's cousins had the photo and I took a digital picture of it. I don't know anything more about her siblings or cousins. My grandfather didn't know her or any of her family.

Thanks for replying! Earlier this year I contacted someone about one of my grandpa's cousins on the Swedish side. She had posted that result quite a few years ago and was quite excited to make contact with me. So thanks again.

This thread: