IAJONES-L Archives

Archiver > IAJONES > 2005-08 > 1124467546

From: John Ely <>
Subject: 1886 DEED: J.H. FISHER to Sarah LOBDELL
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:05:46 -0500

-------------------------

DEED RECORD, JONES COUNTY, IOWA

FROM J. H. Fisher & Wife
TO Sarah Lobdell
Filed for record the 2nd day of Oct A.D. 1886 at 11 o’clock, Jus Perferer
Recorder

KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS, That We J. H. Fisher & L. A. Fisher of
Jones County, and State of Iowa, in consideration of the sum of Two
Thousand Dollars in hand paid by Sarah Lobdell of Jones County, and State
of Iowa do hereby SELL AND CONVEY unto the said Sarah Lobdell the following
described premises, situated in Jones County ^Linn Iowa:

To wit the North ½ of NE ¼ and NE of NW ¼ of Section (18) Eighteen in
Township 85 N (4) Four West and The North ½ E ½ NW ¼ SE ¼ Section 24 (24)
Twenty four Township 85 N Range 5 West of 5 PM containing in all one
hundred thirty acres and we do hereby covenant with the said Sarah Lobdell
that we are lawfully seized of said premises; that they are free from
encumbrance; that; that we have good right and lawful authority to sell and
convey the same; and we do hereby covenant to WARRANTY AND DEFEND the said
premises, and appurtenances thereto belonging, against the lawful claims of
all persons whomsoever; and the said L. A. Fisher hereby relinquishes all
her right of Dower in and to the above described premises.

Signed the 2d day of October A.D. 1886 before me Robert Gott(?) a Justice
of the Peace in and for said County, personally came J. H. Fisher & L. A.
Fisher to me personally known to be the identical person whose name (?)
affixed to the above Deed as grantors and acknowledged the execution of the
same to be this voluntary act and Deed. Witness, My hand an the day above
written.

S/ Robert Gott(?)
Justice of the Peace

Rev Stamp $2.00
JHF Oct 2 / 66

------------

Nathan and Sarah LOBDELL bought land here from the estate of James SPENCER
in 1863. "... paid by Nathan Lobdell of Kane County and State of Illinois."

----------------

Perhaps the above will be of interest sometime to someone on this
list. Apparently, Sarah LOBDELL is the wife of Nathan LOBDELL (b. 18 Sep
1839 Fairfield, VT).

Nathan LOBDELL married Sarah DIMON (b. 15 Oct 1842 Weston, Fairfield
County, Connecticut, d. 19 Jan 1897 at Rockford, Winnebago County,
Illinois). Sarah was the daughter of Thomas and Sallie E. (Treadwell)
Dimon. According to an online Illinois marriage index, they were married
03/04/1882 in Kane County, Illinois (License No. 5303)

After Sarah's death, Nathan LOBDELL m. 2nd Hellen M. SMITH. At one time
Nathan LOBDELL resided at 213 West Street, Rockford, Illinois.

-----------

I am researching Joseph LOBDELL. Three of his married daughters lived in
Buffalo Township, Linn County. Some of the land in the above deed is in
Linn County, Buffalo township. My interest is in determining if Nathan is
related to Joseph LOBDELL. So far, it seems the co-location is just a
coincidence. Joseph LOBDELL lived near Lena in Stephenson County,
Illinois. He previously lived in Will County, Illinois, and Cayuga County,
NY. He was born in Herkimer County, NY, about 1801. His father's history
is quite a mystery. Many facts directly correspond to a Joseph LOBDELL who
was captured at age 13 in April 1777 with his father and two brothers and
taken to Canada (and later collected a military pension). However, other
"facts" directly clash with this Joseph (eg: he drowned at Naseau, NY, a
few months before the birth of his only son). Any help researching this
family is appreciated.

Regards,

John Ely
Anamosa, Iowa