IAJONES-L Archives

Archiver > IAJONES > 2005-08 > 1124798868

From: John Ely <>
Subject: 1863 DEED: Spencer Estate to Nathan Lobdell
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:07:48 -0500

Below is my transcription attempt of the 1863 deed for land purchased from
the James Spencer estate by Nathan Lobell.

Regards,

John Ely
Anamosa, Iowa
R. Batchelder Admn
Estate of James Spencer Dec'd
Nathan Lobdell

Know all men by these Presents That whereas at the April Term of the County
Court of Jones County & State of Iowa for the year 1862 application was
made by R. Batchelder admn of the Estate of James Spencer deceased to sell
real estate belonging to Said Estate & whereas said Court pursuant to said
certification (appointed?) three appraisers to appraise the value of said
real estate and whereas on the 5th day of May 1862 said appraisers filed
their report & said court ordered said admn to sell said Real Estate at the
appraised value to pay the debts of said Estate and whereas the following
described tract of land to wit: West Half of the South East quarter
section No Twenty (20) in Township No. Eighty-five (85) North of Range
Three (3) West of the Fifth Principle Meridian situate in said county of
Jones was appraised at the sum of four dollars per acre and whereas the
said report of said appraisers was approved by the Court. Now therefore by
virtue of the authority vested in me as administrator of Said Estate & by
order of Said County Court and in consideration of the sum of Three Hundred
and Twenty Dollars [word unknown] in hand paid by Nathan Lobdell of Kane
County and State of Illinois I R. Batchelder Administrator of the Estate of
James Spencer Deceased do hereby sell and convey unto the said Nathan
Lobdell all of the aforesaid described lands and premises together with all
an singular the appurtenances thereunto belonging to have and to hold the
same forever.

Dated March 30th A.D. 1863
Reamantes(?) Batchelder
Administrator

In presence of D. McCarin(?)

STATE OF IOWA
JONES COUNTY

On this 30th day of March A. D. 1863 before me Davis McCarn a Notary Public
in and for Said County personally came Reomantes Batchelder Admin of the
Estate of James Spencer deceased personally known so to be the identical
person whose name is subscribed to the foregoing deed as grantor and
acknowledged the Execution thereof to be his voluntary act and deed for the
purpose therein stated.

Witness my hand and Notarial Seal on the day and year above written.

Davis McCarn Notary Public

STATE OF IOWA
JONES COUNTY

Now to wit on this 20th day of April 1863 came Reomates Batchelder
Administrator of the Estate of James Spencer deceased and produces the
foregoing deed to Nathan Lobdell for approval and it appearing that said
administrator has conformed to all the requirements of the Statute in such
case made & provided and to the orders of this court the foregoing deed is
& the same is hereby approved.

Witness Jno. S. Stacy Co. Judge of the Said Jones County and Seal off
Office affixed the date aforesaid.

Jno. S. Stacy
Co Judge

This thread: