IAMILLS-L Archives

Archiver > IAMILLS > 1999-07 > 0932337863

From: Larry Miller <>
Subject: [IAMILLS-L] Waubonsie Cemetery, Part 1
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:44:23 -0500

Hello List;

Following partial list of burials in Waubonsie Cemetery is from the booklet
from Mills County Iowa Cemeteries. This copy is from the genealogy section
of the public library in Mills Co Iowa. This particular post is from page
175, right column. I have edited this as carefully as I can, and I hope I
have produced an accurate copy of the original (with minor changes in
column format). I take no credit for the information that has been
gathered; other dedicated voluteers deserve that credit. I only scanned
and edited the scan. If there are others working toward this effort, this
is not meant to step on any toes; I only wanted to give back a little of
all I have received from the dedicated researchers that have posted
information that has been helpful to me.
* * * * * * * *

Page 175
WAUBONSIE CEMETERY

Waubonsie Cemetery is located about seven miles south of Glenwood on
county road L45, or about six miles northwest of Tabor, in Lyons Township,
SE 1/4 of Section 24.
William Wolfe gave an acre of land for Waubonsie Church site some of
which may be the cemetery. The church and cemetery were named for Chief
Waubonsie who lived and was given a tree burial in the hills south of the
church.
Many burial sites are unmarked. The oldest stone is for Arthur, son
of S & N Boyd who died 21 April l857 at the age of ten years and ten
months. Some time ago a newspaper had interesting articles about Matilda
(Hanks) Utterback Anthony who passed away in 1863. She was a distant
relative of Abraham Lincoln's mother. There is a small stone which marks
her burial site.
Research information was given by Amos Jensen, Ona and Grace McNay and
Mrs. Everett Hockabout.
In recent years, a cleanup campaign of the cemetery was initiated by
the Don Skinner and Everett Hockabout families, parents and grandparents of
Lanis Skinner who is buried in the East Section. Friends, relatives and
former parishioners offered their services and donations in the monumental
cleanup task of the cemetery and the eventual renovation of the church to
preserve the landmark which was rededicated in June 1975. Services are now
held regularly at the church.
The original church built in 1852 was destroyed in 1864 after it had
been used as a hospital during a smallpox epidemic in the county during the
Civil War. It Is believed there are a number of unmarked burials of
victims of this epidemic.
Along the west fence near the entrance gate is a row of eutin roses in
memory of Lanny (Lanis Skinner. Other memorial plantings have been made.
The northernmost part of the North Section was at one time a private,
fenced, cemetery, Later, for convenience in caring for the grounds, the
cemeteries were combined.

UNMARKED BURIALS, LOCATIONS UNCERTAIN
Information from military list at courthouse (there is a metal hitching
post with a Civil War marker in the East section, Row 10):
YOST, William born June 1840 West Virginia died Feb- 1696
PVT CO A 20 WEST VIRGINIA INFANTRY
HARMON, Jesse Clark 22 Dec 1820 - 20 Jan 1901
CO F MISSOURI INF MEXICAN & CIVIL WAR VETERN
WPA mil rec: bur East Section marked by iron pipe (see RI0)

>From Works Progress Administration cemetery recording:
HARMON, Diana wife of Jesse
HINSHAW, Joseph, d 30 Jun 1859. 84y
MARLE, Elmerno dates

In the East Section the following unmarked burials may be
in the area of Rows 4 & 5 toward the north side:
POWLES, Sammie infant daughter of William & Myrtle
BONNEY, Family of Joe (3 or 4 members)

EAST SECTION

Row 1 west to east, north to south

s- HUBBELL, Laverna A 1890 - 1894 Darling
s- HUBBELL, Sarah L 1861 - 1915Mother
s- HUBBELL, Moses W 1857 - 1939Father
s- BUCKINGHAM, Carrie wf of C M18 Jul 1874 - 14 Aug 1899
s- BUCKINGHAM, David M, d 22 Feb 1894, 53Y
s- TAGUE, Albert son of Joe & Estellena
27 Sep 1904 - 2 Jun 1906
s- TAGUE, William H. 28 Nov 1838 - 18 May 1905 (2 stones)
CO K 29 IOWA INF (CIVIL WAR-GAR)
s- TAGUE, Jonah his wife 1 Jun 1838 - 17 Jan 1917
s- TAGUE, Geneva G 27 Aug 1909 - 16 Jul 1910
s- NEELY, Glen L E, d 18 Jan 1894. 2y 8m 11d

s-stone b- born y m d- years, months, days
GAR- Grand Army of the Republic - Civil War soldier, Union
A surname in parenthesis indicates it is not on the stone.

Larry Miller

Edwardsville IL

This thread: