IAMILLS-L Archives

Archiver > IAMILLS > 2000-08 > 0966015544

From: <>
Subject: Re: [IAMILLS] Robert HODGIN
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:39:04 EDT

Hi Cay and Mary in Wyoming,

I hope this doesn't get too confusing.

Norma in Tacoma WA

The Robert Hodgin who married Eliza A. Fickle 17 Jan 1876 although probably
related is NOT the Robert Hodgin I am looking for. My Robert Hodgin was born
about 1797 in NC. I found him on the 1850 Federal Census for Cedar Co., MO
while searching for my gggrandmother Sarah Ann Hodgin. She is the mother of
my ggrandfather John Wesley Cox (born in MO 1846) who lived in Mills Co. from
the early 1860s until 1910. Many of the other Cox/Hodgin family from MO also
moved there in the early 1860s. I think Robert Hodgin may have been the
father of Sarah Ann.

Sarah Ann Was born in IN in 1830. She married William Cox March 1, 1846. Son
John Wesley Cox was born Nov 22, 1846. William went to CA in the goldrush and
didn't return. Sarah married Stephen Hodgin (b OH) in 1852. Stephen died in
Mills Co. in Feb. 1869. In Oct 1869 Sarah married J. W. Baker in Mills Co.
They are on the 1870 census for Rawles Twp. There is no record of Sarah or J.
W. after that. They must have left the county before they died. There is also
a John MADDEN on the same page of the 1870 Census with a John WILSON age 18,
living with them.

1870 Federal Census Mills Co., IA, Rawls Twp. Tabor PO Page 16 (hand written)

Baker, John W. 55 farmer b GA
Sarah Ann 40 b IN
William J 15 b IA
Elizabeth E. 14 b IA Married Benjamin Hodgin 1873 Mills.Co.,
IA
Nancy M. 12 b IA
Eliza S. 10 b IA
Manerva E. 8 b IA
Hodgin S. M. 11 b MO Son of Sarah and Stephen Hodgin
Margaret F. 9 b MO Daughter of Sarah and Stephen
William E. 7 b IA Probably children of Sarah and Stephen
Edney J. 2 b IA

1850 Head of household info for Cedar Co., MO I have not seen the actual
census. It is not available at LDS.

Hodgin, Robert 59 m NC
Sarah 55 f TN
Edward 25 m Ohio
Cox, Sarah A. 20 f IN

1860 Federal Census of Cedar Co., MO
Cedar Twp. #178 (printed record)
HODGEN, Stephen 44 M Ohio
Sarah A. 30 F Ind
Hariet A. 18 F Mo -child of Stephen Hodgin and previous
wife (D. Reed?)
John R. 11 M Mo- child of Stephen Hodgin and previous
wife (D. Reed?)
Martha 7 F Mo -child of Stephen Hodgin and Sarah Ann
Hodgin Cox Hodgin
Samuel M. 2 M Mo- child of Stephen Hodgin and Sarah Ann
Hodgin Cox Hodgin
Cox, John W. 13 M Mo -(son of William Cox and Sarah Hodgin)

Records for Waubonsie Cemetery, Mills Co., IA show Stephen Hodgin buried
there. He died January 21, 1969 at 52 years, 10 months, 28 days.

This thread: