ICELAND-L Archives

Archiver > ICELAND > 1998-11 > 0912485715

From: Beth Rutherford <>
Subject: JONSSON, MAGNUSSON, EINERSON
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:15:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello all! Am new to the list searching for my husband's Icelandic roots.

Jon JONSSON b abt 26 Oct 1838 Hunavatn & Karolina MAGNUSSDOTTIR b 06 Jan
1841 Bardastrandarsysla married 08 Jul 1865 Skardsthing, Dalasysla. Their
children: Magnus JONSSON christened 03 Apr 1865 Saurbaejarthing, Dalasysla;
Juliana JONSSON christened 03 Feb 1871 Stadur I Hrutafirdi, Hunavatnssysla;
Jon JONSSON christened 03 Feb 1871 Stadur I Hrutafirdi, Hunavatnssysla.

They were brought to the US in 1873 by the government, so the story goes, to
Wisconsin (Door County?). They were in the 1870 census near Lodi,
Wisconsin. Two daughters & a son were born to them in Wisconsin: Anna
Kirsten JONSSON b 20 Aug 1878 & Helfridur b abt 1876 & Ole Carl b abt 1882.
They then went to Gardar, North Dakota.

Because there were so many "Johnsons" they changed their name to reflect
where they came from, Hrutafirdi, & became "Hrutfjord". Later changed again
to Ruthford.

Ole married Gudbjorg Einarson in North Dakota 28 Mar 1907.

Would like to be in touch with anyone who has links to this family, either
in Iceland or the US.

Please e-mail to

This thread: