ILADAMS-L Archives

Archiver > ILADAMS > 2003-08 > 1059840310

Subject: [ILADAMS] Re: Turney/Culp
Date: 2 Aug 2003 10:05:10 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/Wg.2ADE/3523.1.1.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Here is what I collected on the Culp/Turney/Vancil/Lyeria families in Adams Co Illinois in 1850s

These are all Adams Co Illinois marriages
04/02/1846 Esther Culp to George Turney/Tourney
11/18/1850 Isabella Culp to Peter Turney/Twiney
08/07/1853 Maria Culp to Franklin Tourney
also 1858 George Tourney to Elizabeth Allen

>From Adam Co Illinois genweb page - under Zachariah Lierly, Rev War Veteran - it mentions he was given special burial as the only Revolutionary War Veteran in Adams County. With him was buried a Frenchman. FAmily story: when Nepoleon was taken prisoner in 1815, he had two bodyguards. One man was killed, the second man escaped and disappeared. This Frenchman named Tournear, who was buried near Liberty in the late 1830's, is believed to be the long lost Napoleonic guard.....

Fact:
1850 Census Adams County Illinois
Liberty
family 16, house 16
William Vancil age 28 born Illinois
Mary A age 24 born France
John age 2 born Illinois
Henry age 1 born Illinois
Joseph Turney age 22 born France
(this would seem Joseph Turney was the brother of Mary Vancil....and the name in census is TURNEY.)
same house, different family
house 16, family 17
Zachiarah Lirele age 30 born Illinois
George age 7 born Illinois
Jane? age 6 born Illinois
William 3 born Illinois

as far as the Culps, I found the father under Culph
1850 Adams Co Illinois census
Jacob Culph age 64 born Tennessee
Mary age 55
Isabella age 20 born Indiana
Drucilla? age 14 born Indiana
(Isabella Culp is the one who married Peter Turney/Twiney in November of 1850)

1850 Adams Co Illinois census
George Towney age 28 born France
Esther age 23 born Indiana
Jefferson age 3 born Illinois
John B age 1 born Illinois
Maria Culph age 16 born Indiana
(this would be Esther Culp who married George Turney/Tourney in 1846. Maria is her sister and would marry Franklin Tourney in 1853.)

from a Culp researcher:
"the 3 Culp daughters were those of Jacob Culp and Mary "Polly" Dennis. Jacob died 5/15/1875 and is buried in Olive Chapel Cemetery, St Joseph County, Indiana. Esther/Hester Culp married a George Tourney (b. 1822) on 4/2/1846 in Adams Co IL, where they appear in the 1850 census......her sister Maria married Frank(lin) Tourney (b 1834) 8/7/1853 also in Adams Co IL. Another sister Isabella married Peter Tourney (b 1830) 11/18/1850. This Peter Tourney was actually Peter Moulin, the only child of Nicholas Moulin and maria Catherine Balot. Maria Catherine Balot married 2nd Jean Baptiste Tournier (John Tourney) when Peter was young. Peter appears on the IL marriage register as "Tourney" but he and Isabella later moved to Daviess Co., MO and used the name Moulin. Maria and John Tourney appear on the 1850 census for Liberty, IL. The Tourney family may have been in Stark Co., Ohio prior to going to Adams Co. IL about 1837. Peter and Frank(lin) appear to be half brothers. Ge!
orge is too old to have been the child of Maria and John Tourney but I do not know how he is related.
Meredith"

another Culp researcher just confused me more:
"I visited the Culp/Tourney graves last summer in Missouri. After, Maria married Franklin and he died she married Peter Moulin. Aunt Esther Culp died in Liberty, Adams County Il 1858. Her son, named after her brother Francis Marion Culp was adopted by my great, great grandfather Daniel Culp. He became Francis Milton Culp, Jr. His brother Jefferson kept his Tourney name..and we are not sure who raised him but both of them are buried in the Scottsville, Mitchell County, Kansas cemetary.
......incidently, George is buried next to my great uncle Newton Jasper Culp, Civil War Casualty, in the Pleasant View Cemetery, Liberty, Adams Co Illinois. We cannot find Ester/Hester's grave. In our Culp family we know her as Hester. George remarried Elizabeth Allen. Isabelle Culp, born Dearborn, IN in 1830 married Peter Tourney in 1850. He passed away and she married Peter Moulin about 1850. She died in 1914 and along with Tourneys and Moulins is buried in Hill Cemetery, Davis County, MO where they migrated to in 1857. Maria, born in 1834 married Franklin Tourney Aug 7, 1853...not much info on Franklin and Maria.
Their brother, Benjamin Dennis Culp and his wife Martha Van Dusen headed to Missouri also. They are actually buried less than five miles away in the Fairview Cemetery in harrison County, MO. It very well could have been the same county when they all arrived in Missouri."

Elisabeth Allen, born 1834/35 in Ohio Co KY or Morgan Co IL died ca 1870 Liberty, Adams Co Il. Living with brother James M. Allen and family in 1850 Census New Salem, Pike Co, Illinois
married George Tournear/Tourney, 1858 Adams Co IL.....children Violetta Tourney born 23 Dec 1859, Liberty Adams Co IL married John Breckenridge 1883 Adams Co IL; Rhoda A Tourney born 1863, married William Keller; Anna A Tourney born 1869
William G Tourney born 1866

Hope something here will help you. I was just happy to prove this was not any of my Turney line.

Mary Turney Miller

This thread: