ILFRANKL-L Archives

Archiver > ILFRANKL > 2006-07 > 1152047788

From: jack kopetz <>
Subject: RE: Cemetery
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:16:28 -0700 (PDT)

JULIA:

Here is the person sheet for Thomas Azariah's father.
I don't have any ties to those in Bethel Cemetery but
that doesn't mean there are none. If you find
anything, let me know.

also I include Azariah's sheet, perhaps you have some
of his many
children.

Jack

Name:Benjamin WHITTINGTON

Birth:1775Calvert/Caroline Co, MD
Death:abt 1840IN
Burial:Mt Olive Cem, Harrison Twp, Bartholomew Co,
IN
Father:Thomas WHITTINGTON (~1760-)
Mother:? CHANCE

Spouses

1:Mary Elizabeth CARROLL
Birth:1775Ann, Arundel Co, MD
Burial:Mt Olive Cem, Harrison Twp, Bartholomew Co,
IN
Children:Thomas Azariah (1794-1855)
Mary Elizabeth (Polly) (1794-<1840)
John W (1799-)
William R (1800-)
Benjamin
Henry (~1800-)
Francis L (1813-1869)
Joseph (1831-1879)

Notes for Benjamin WHITTINGTON
From: Whittington-Brown book edited by
Winona Whittington Pfander, copywrited in 1965:

Their children were:Asa (Thomas Azariah),born in
Maryland in 1783,according to his own statement-Census
of 1850,for Franklin County,Illinois;Joseph,1795;Mary
Elizabeth(Polly);John W.,born in Kentucky 1799,(Census
of Barry County,Missouri,1850);William R.,born
Sept.9,180O,North Carolina. Census of 1850,Shelby
County, Illinois; Benjamin, born 1804,birthplace not
established;Henry,born 1808-9,in Kentucky,Census of
1830,Bartholomew County;and Francis, born 1813,in
Kentucky.Census Records of 1840-50-Bartholomew
County,Indiana.

From the United States Census of 1850,for Barry
County,Missouri,we learn that three more children were
born to John W.and Catherine David Whittington while
they were living in Indiana.They were:John,born
1832;Franklin,born 1834;Edward,born 1836.The three
older children,Benjamin,Lucinda and Sarah are not
living with the family of
John and Catherine.Benjamin and his family are listed
in this same Census.Lucinda and Sarah have married but
their married names were not given. Within the next
two years,John W.and Catherine Whittington with their
children had located in Barry County,Missouri,for in
the above named Census is the record of their son
Henry C.,born 1838,in Missouri.Three more sons were
also named in this census as born in Missouri,-James
H.,born 1840;William,born 1842;and George W.,born
1845.

Name:Thomas Azariah WHITTINGTON

Birth:25 Aug 1794MD
Death:18 Oct 1855Benton, Franklin Co, IL
Father:Benjamin WHITTINGTON (1775-~1840)
Mother:Mary Elizabeth CARROLL (1775-)

Spouses

1:Elizabeth C LACY
Birth:27 Feb 1795SC
Death:1856Farm, Mt Zion District. FCI
Marriage:8 Feb 1814Sumner Co, MD
Children:William C (1815-1881)
John Wesley (1817-1851)
Sarah (1818-1887)
James (1820-)
Elizabeth (Betsy Ann) (1823-)
Allen (1827-)
Margaret Orrella (1828-)
Alsy (Else) Jane (1829-1906)
Benjamin R (1833-1864)
Lewis Washington (1840-1906)
Joseph (-1846)

Notes for Thomas Azariah WHITTINGTON
He was married to Elizabeth Lacy on February 8,1814,in
Sumner County,Tennessee, by Andrew Greyer,a Justice of
the Peace.She was born in Georgia on February 27,1795.
Asariah died on October 18,1855,at his residence four
miles northeast of Benton.Franklin County,Illinois,and
was buried on this farm on which they had located when
they moved from Tennessee to Illinois in 1828.
In the Census of 1850,Asariah Whittington gave his
birth place as Maryland.The word Maryland is written
out completely which leaves no doubt of the place
where he was born.
The farm on which they located when they came to
Illinois in 1828,and upon which they are both
buried,is located in what was known at that time as
Mt.Zion District.
William Jaspar Whittington,grandson of Asariah and
Elizabeth,in his autobiographical sketch of his
life,published in the Franklin County
History,Centennial Edition,page 68, writes of his
grandfather:"My grandfather was a gallant soldier
under Andrew Jackson at New Orleans and I used to love
to sit and hear him relate his experiences in that
war,and doubtless from what I learned from him had
something to do in causing me to enlist in my
country's service."After his marriage,on February
8,1814,Asariah entered the service on November 18,the
same year.He served throughout his term of service
under the command of General Andrew Jackson,and among
other engagements participated in the Battle of New
Orleans.
His service record in Adjutant General's Office is as
follows: "Private in Captain Mathew Neale's Company of
Infantry,Third Regiment,West Tennessee Militia.Drafted
at Gallatin,Sumner County,Tennessee,October
25,1814,for a term of six months.His roll is dated
Camp Hines,November 18,1814.He was present.His
certificate of honorable discharge,dated May
18,1815,is in his file in the Adjutant General's
Office, Archives,Washington,D CThis certificate is
signed by William Carroll,Major General, Second
Division,Tennessee Militia." Following the First Act
of Congress,September 28,1850,granting bounty land to
all veterans(this was in lieu of pension
grants)Asariah Whittington made application for bounty
land October 19,1850,Franklin County, Illinois , He
recounted his service given above and was
granted-Warrant 372 for 80 acres of land,February
13,1851.Sent to Benton,Franklin County,Illinois.A
Second Act of Congress,March 3,1855,granting more land
to veterans was passed and Asariah Whittington
appeared before Judge John Duff,1855,Franklin County,
Illinois,and made application for obtaining this
increased acreage under the new bounty land
grant.Warrant Number 11294,granting his petition for
bounty land,was issued to Asariah Whittington after
his death,which occurred October 18,1855.This Warrant
was re- turned by Asariah Whittington's widow
Elizabeth Whittington,when she made claim for Bounty
land under Act of March 3,1953.This declaration was
filed in Franklin County, Illinois,December
11,1855,she swore that she was sixty years old
February 27,1855.She stated that she was married to
Asariah Whittington in the County of Sumner,State of
Tennessee,February 8,1814,by Andrew Greyer,a Justice
of the Peace.She had no private record of this
marriage and knew of no public record of this
marriage.She swore that her husband died at his place
of residence about four miles northeast of
Benton,Franklin County,Illinois,on October 18,1855.She
returned the Warrant issued to her husband since his
death that it might be canceled.She stated that she
was a widow,and had never asked for bounty land
before.Her sons,William C.and Allen Whittington swore
that they knew her to be as represented.William
C.Whittington and Augustus Adams swore that Asariah
and Elizabeth Whittington were man and wife.That
Asariah and Elizabeth Whittington had lived in
Franklin County,Illinois,for the last 27 years except
about one year that they resided in Marion
County,Illinois.Warrant number 17540 for 80 acres of
land,was issued to Elizabeth Whittington,January
1,1856,and sent to Benton,Franklin County,Illinois.
This residence in Marion County,Illinois,was in the
year just previous to his death as correspondence in
his file in the pension records is addressed to him at
Clinton,Illinois,and dated December 29,1854.
Asariah Whittington's name was probably Thomas
Asariah,named for his grandfather Thomas
Whittington(82).He did not name any of his sons
Thomas,but it was carried down through his descendants
in numerous instances.He was called Asa-Acie by
everyone who knew him, according to his great
granddaughter,Estella Dillon Lumsdon.

=== message truncated ===

This thread: