ILFRANKL-L Archives

Archiver > ILFRANKL > 2007-08 > 1187560381

From: "Sheldon Jones" <>
Subject: Re: [ILFRANKL] John Foster KIRKPATRICK + Ruth B. GREENWOOD(question)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:54:33 -0600

Back in Jan 2005, Shirley Murray sent this to the FCI list:
***
You probably already know that the parents of Martha are said to be LeRoy
Upshaw and Elizabeth Bradley. In my records I have the name Upshaw as possibly
originally Upshur.

According to researcher Thomas Wilson Shawcross
Martha is listed as 93y old in the Jul 1860 census, living with son Carter
Greenwood and family in FCI 1860 and her children by George Caldwell Greenwood
are
1. Elizabeth GREENWOOD b: 1799 in , Monangalia, VA
2. Adkins GREENWOOD b: ABT 1800 in VA or 1797 in GE
3. George T. GREENWOOD b: ABT 1805 in GA
4. Martha GREENWOOD b: 14 Apr 1812
5. Willoughby J. GREENWOOD b: 1813 or 1814 in GA
6. Carter GREENWOOD b: ABT 1815 in AL
7. Sarah GREENWOOD b: ABT 1819 in TN
8. Ruth B. GREENWOOD b: 1820 in , Montgomery, TN

Matthew Gerber gives the same issue plus Russel B.
GREENWOOD b. abt 1799

Sara Davis gives the same issue, some dob sligtly
different and says Carter's given name as McCarther.

Your query interested me because I have another Martha Upshaw or Upshur also
b in VA but her dob is abt 1840. My Martha married Francis William Buckner.
I do not find the two Martha's as related, but it is possible. My research is
mainly in re to the Buckner family of FCI. There were several
Bradley/Buckner marriages so I'm investigating the possibilities that there is a
link
somewhere between you Martha Upshaw's mother, Elizabeth Bradley and my Buckner
line
as well as the possibility that there is an Upshaw link to my Buckners.

A copy of this letter is sent to my first cousin Roberta Cook who is helping
me research our Richard Buckner b 1803, parents unknown. Roberta, please
notice that
FRANCIS WILLIAM8 BUCKNER (RICHARD (MAJOR)7, RICHARD6, JOHN5, THOMAS4, HUGH3,
WILLIAM2, RYCHARD1) was born 1747 in ,Virginia (Cozier), and died 30 Jun 1819
in Christian Co., KY. He married MARTHA UPSHUR Abt. 1770 in Virginia,
daughter of JAMES UPSHUR and MARY MARTIN. She was born Abt. 1750 in Virginia.

Children of FRANCIS BUCKNER and MARTHA UPSHUR are:
i. RICHARD UPSHUR (UPSHAW?)9 BUCKNER, b. Abt. 1772.
We have not located his wife and children
ii. LEWIS BUCKNER, b. Abt. 1773. We have not
located his wife and children
iii. ELIZABETH AYLETT BUCKNER, b. Abt. 1774, Virginia;
m. (1) HENRY GARRETT; d. 19 Aug 1765; m. (2) WILLIAM MURRELL, Aft. 1765,
Christian Co Kentucky; b. 18 Sep 1788.
iv. GEORGE BUCKNER, b. Abt. 1775; m. ANNIE MADISON
SAUNDERS. We have not located his wife and children
v. MARY AMISS BUCKNER, b. Abt. 1775, Virginia; m.
JOHN PIERCE CAMPBELL, 15 May 1817, Christian County, KY.
vi. SUSAN BUCKNER, b. Abt. 1778, Virginia.
vii. JAMES BUCKNER, b. Abt. 1782, Virginia; d. 04 Feb
1832, Virginia; m. LUCY MADISON BUCKNER, 1807; b. Abt. 1787, Carolin Co.,
Virginia; d. 28 Aug 1831.
viii. MARTHA JONES BUCKNER, b. 04 Dec 1795, Kentucky; d. 28
Aug 1843, Hopkinsville,Christian,Kentucky; m. (1) JAMES BUCKNER; b. Bet. 1775 -
1794; m. (2) JOHN IV BUCKNER, 06 Mar 1817, Christian County, Kentucky; b. 21
Dec 1791, Port Royal, Caroline, Virginia; d. 01 Mar 1878,
Hopkinsville,Christian, Kentucky.

Shirley Murray
***

-SRJ