ILFRANKL-L Archives

Archiver > ILFRANKL > 2009-03 > 1237251810

From: Robert Montgomery <>
Subject: Re: [ILFRANKL] COCKRUM DEATH
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:03:30 -0700 (PDT)

Christina Irene McCann died 3 AUG 1987 in West Frankfort, Franklin County, IL.

Ruth McCann Montgomery

wrote:
Sherry went by Sherry Dilliner when she was in school. She was in the same
grade as my older brother. I also knew her younger sister Rhonda Thomas but
don't recall any younger children in the family. She married Gail Cockrum who's
family I knew well. Gail is part of my Brown line. I believe Gail's mom
Christina still lives in the Benton area. Rhonda Thomas first married Charles
Dean Miller and they have two children Vonda and Jo. Dean is the son of Lyle
Russell Miller and Denzil Stewart. Lyle is part of my Lewis line.

Bob

Published in The Southern Illinoisan on 3/16/2009
EWING - Sherry Lynn Cockrum, 61, went to be with our Lord at 7:15 a.m.
Sunday, March 15, 2009, surrounded by her three children, sisters, brothers and
their families at home. Sherry was born Sept. 19, 1947, in Marshall Browning
Hospital in Du Quoin. She was the daughter of Norma Faye (Dilliner) Thomas
Swisher of Sesser and Troy VanZandt of Phoenix. She was also raised by Ralph
Merle Thomas of Sesser. She married Gail Cockrum on June 16, 1962. Together they
had three children, Wendell Cockrum and wife, Glenda, of Benton, Shelly
Clayton and husband, David, of Whittington and Tonya Sharp and husband, Larry, of
Sesser.
Survivors also include two sisters, Rhonda Wallace of Sesser and Darby Biby
and husband, George "Zip," of Christopher; twin brothers, Bart Swisher and
wife, Patty, of Mulkeytown and Brad Swisher of Benton; six grandchildren,
Ashley Coe and husband, Matt, of Ewing, Trenton Cockrum of Evansville, Ind.,
Sydney Clayton of Whittington and Rhealynn and Aaron Summers and LaRhea Sharp, all
of Sesser; step grandchildren, Jo Dale Jackson of Akin, Tony Jackson of
Ewing, Dianna Jackson of Johnston City and Tyreke Sharp of Missouri; three
great-grandchildren, Logan and Madi Lynn Coe of Ewing and Zaden Edward Cockrum of
Evansville, Ind.; very special friend, Doris Douglas of Ewing; and several
nieces, nephews, cousins and aunts. Sherry was employed at Ewing-Ina Water
Commission for over 30 years. She loved gardening, doing yard work, crocheting,
taking country drives and cookouts. She especially loved spending time with her
family. Services will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday, March 18, in Whittington
Church, with Pastor Mark Minor officiating. Burial will be in Maple Hill Cemetery,
Sesser. Visitation will be from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and after 11 a.m.
Wednesday at the church. Johnston Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

Gail Cockrum s/o LEMUEL FRANKLIN "FRANK" COCKRUM, JR. and CHRISTINA I.
(UKN.)
Frank s/o LEMUEL FRANKLIN COCKRUM and BERTHA LEONA RICH
Lemuel s/o BENJAMIN FRANKLIN COCKRUM and MARY J. WHITELOCK/WHITLOCK
Benjamin s/o CHARLES MILLS H. COCKRUM and NAOMI BROWN

Naomi d/o STEPHEN BROWN and ELIZABETH SPOON
**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or