ILMERCER-L Archives

Archiver > ILMERCER > 1999-01 > 0916605309

From: "Nadine Holder" <>
Subject: Re: [ILMERCER-L] Willits-Paxton
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:35:09 -0700

Rich Gess -

I can't give you specifics on Oliver P Willits but can give you some hints:

Aledo Weekly Record (Mercer County), June 12, 1867, "O. P. Willits and
family left for Missouri" so you should find them there in the 1870 census.

As you probably already know Oliver is not found in the 1850 or 1860 Mercer
County census. There is a good chance that he is the Oliver Willits on Page
5 of the Hamilton County, Indiana census, Cicero Township, 1860.

Since he married in Mercer County he was likely related to the Mercer County
Willits families and was there visiting. Four brothers Levi, Samuel, Jesse,
and William Willits lived in Wayne County, Indiana, and they are progenitors
of some of the Mercer County Willits families so Oliver could be son of one
of them. There were also cousins, Isaac and James Willits, found in Wayne
County. Isaac's family is pretty well documented in Quaker records so
Oliver did not belong to Isaac. Several of James' children are unaccounted
for so he could belong to him. If you do connect Oliver to one of these
families I have more on their ancestry and origins - they came from Berks
County, Pennsylvania, via Fairfield County, Ohio, to Wayne County, Indiana.
Some of their descendants wound up in Howard and Hamilton County, Indiana,
including (probably) Oliver.

Hope this helps - if you do connect him would appreciate knowing how he fits
in.

Nadine Holder, Sierra Vista, Arizona