ILPIKE-L Archives

Archiver > ILPIKE > 2006-11 > 1164260498

Subject: Re: [ILPIKE] John Irvin January
Date: 22 Nov 2006 22:41:38 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/kg.2ADI/2024.2

Message Board Post:

Descendants of Sarah (Sally) January

Generation No. 1

1. SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY was born May 10, 1790 in Woodford City, Ky. (Source: 1872 Pike Co. Atlas.), and died March 12, 1827 in Somerset, Pulaski, Ky. She married JOSEPH PORTER March 17, 1809 in Somerset, Pulaski, Ky (Source: 1872 Pike Co. Atlas.). He was born 1784 in Wythe Co., Virginia, and died 1856 in Somerset, Pulaski, Ky.

Notes for SARAH (SALLY) JANUARY:
1872 Pike Co., Illinois Atlas Page 50 under Alfred Grubb: Her father moved to Somerset, cut the first log for a cabin, cleared the first piece of land, and erected the first cabin where the beautiful town of Somerset now stands. Here he commenced life with a limited amount of thise world's goods, but with energy and perseverence sufficient to carry him through all difficulties; he wass soon elected magistrate and county surveyor. In 1812 he was a volunteer to help rescue his fellow countrymen who had been so shamefully surrendered by Hull. After a hard campaign of seven months, he returned home, and removed to Tennessee, to take charge of an estate that had been left him by his mother. There he remained, eight miles from Knoxville, for three years, when he sold out and returned to Somerset, when he was again elected to the office of magistrate, which he held for thirty years. He also filled many other improtant offices during his life, which closed in 1850 with a bri!
ght prospect of a happy immortality beyound the grave.

1872 Atlas: Mrs. Grubb's mother died March 12, 1827, when she was little more sixteen years of age, leaving her the charge of the entire family, three sistes and one brother, all youner than herself. Her brother ented the ministry of the Baptist church when only nineteen years of age, and still occuplies that ressponsible position.

Notes for JOSEPH PORTER:
>From 1872 Pike Co. Illinois Atlas: He was the youngest son of a large family of children. At the age of nineteen he was apprenticed to the cabinet trade, and emigrated to Somerset, Ky. After serving out his apprenticeship, he concluded to improve his education; and as the facilities for procuring an education were very meagre in that new country, Mr. Porter was really, one of Kentucky's self-made men.
Book - Free Frank by Juliet E. K. Walker, Univ. Press of Kentucky, 1983: page 64-66 The clearest available evidence of his systematic steps to leave the South and buy land in a free state is found in a deposition taken from Joseph Porter in 1856. The deposition concerned Porter's testimony in a suit brought before the Circuit Court of Pike County, Illinois, in which Free Frank's wife Lucy and his son Solomon were the plaintiffs. Porter was a justice of the peace in Pulaski at the time Free Frank was making preparations to leave the county, and during the first decade of the nineteenth was the surveyor for George McWhorter's land in 1817 he was elected to the general assembly. Porter's was also the first name on the character reference Free Frank obtained when he began preparations to leave Pulaski County. There is some discrepancy (such as the order in which Free Frank and Lucy were freed) in the information provided by Joseph Porter, who in 1856 was 85 years old. Bu!
t the deposition is important, for it also provides a summation of most of Free Frank's life in Pulaski County. The process whereby he secured his first land in Illinois is specifically indicated. Much of this information is found in the answers to two of the questions put to Porter:

Deposition taken from Joseph Porter, Pulaski County, Ky., Mar. 14, 1856 for a Pike County Ill. Circuit Court case.

Question: Were you or not acquainted with Frank McWorter, a Free Colored Man generally known by the name of Free Frank. If so where did said McWorter reside when you were acquainted with him, and when did he remove from his said place of residence and where did he remove to?
Answer: I was well acquainted with Free Frank or Frank McWorter form the year 1804 until he removed to Illinois in the year 1831. Where I first knew him he was a slave belonging to George McWhorter of Pulaski County. William Denham who lived in the same neighborhood owned Frank's wife Lucy, a slave. Denham purchased Frank from McWhorter and sometime after Frank bought his freedom from his master Denham and afterwards purchased Lucy his wife from Denham and then they set up housekeeping for themselves and assumed the Sir names McWorter, he Frank sum time after purchased a tract of land in Pulaski County, and resided on the same until he removed to Illinois. I suppose he lived in Pulaski County about Thirty years.
Question: Did or did not said McWorter or Free Frank as called purchase of Dr. Elliot one of the tracts of land formerly owned by Oldham in the State of Illinois--If so what time said purchase was made, was it before or after said McWorter had removed to Illinois. State also in what County in Illinois the land so purchased by McWorter lay; were you or not ever in Pike Co. Illinois in the neighborhood of said land, if so when and state whether or not it was on your recommendation that said McWorter bought the same.
Answer: Frank became desirous to remove from Pulaski County to a free state. Dr. Elliot hearing this made a proposition that he would take Frank's land in Pulaski for one of the tracts he got from Oldham in Illinois, at first Frank was unwilling to take Either of the tracts, no persons here knowing anything about the quality of the land nor where it lay in Illinois. It so happened that I had business at that time that made it necessary to go to Illinois in Pike County and I did go in the Spring of 1830. Dr. Elliot requested me to make some inquiry when I got there whose land lay on the . . . the location quality and get a memorandum of no. of township section of his patent for the tract he got of Oldham. When I arrived in Illinois I stayed with Cap. Ross (who resided in Atlas Pike County). I stayed there some days he has been speculating in Soldiers claims extensively and gave me the information I desired where the lands of Doctor Elliot lay and the tract that Frank !
McWorter afterward purchased of Elliot I found a few miles Westwardly of where Pittsfield now stands the Patentee of that quarter section was I think by the name of (indecipherable). When I returned home to Pulaski I gave both Elliot and Frank the information I had received and advised Frank to close the trade (with Elliot) without delay. Frank done so forth with he gave his tract on which he lived to Elliot for his Elliot's tract in Pike County the following Spring moved to Illinois and settled in at the same.

More About JOSEPH PORTER:
Occupation: Civil engineer and surveyor, who taught those branches (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.)

Marriage Notes for SARAH JANUARY and JOSEPH PORTER:
Charles L. Mayfield, , says they were married on March 28, 1810. His source is; Pulaski County Marriage Record, Book 1, 1799-1850; Author: Pulaski County Historical Society; Page 112, presiding, Thomas Hansford.

More About JOSEPH PORTER and SARAH JANUARY:
Marriage: March 17, 1809, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky (Source: 1872 Pike Co. Atlas.)

Children of SARAH JANUARY and JOSEPH PORTER are:
2.i.SUSAN I.2 PORTER, b. 1804, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky.
3.ii.ELIZA JANUARY PORTER, b. January 05, 1811, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky; d. 1883, Barry, Ill.
4.iii.WILLIAM LEE PORTER, b. 1816, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky; d. 1872, Pulaski,Co., Ky.
iv.NANCY J. PORTER (Source: Tombstone.), b. February 07, 1818, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky; d. October 06, 1865, Barry, Ill; m. (1) ISSAC N. LOVE; b. February 15, 1811; d. February 17, 1853, St Louis, Mo. ???; m. (2) THOMAS WOODS, 1862, Adams Co., Ill..

Notes for NANCY J. PORTER:
She had Love descendents in St Louis, Mo.

More About NANCY J. PORTER:
Burial: Old Barry, Ill. Cemetery (Source: Tombstone.)

More About ISSAC N. LOVE:
Age at death (Facts Pg): 42 yrs-0 mns-2 da on Tomb stone
Burial: Old Barry, Ill. Cemetery

More About THOMAS WOODS and NANCY PORTER:
Marriage: 1862, Adams Co., Ill.

5.v.MALVINA F. PORTER, b. 1819, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky; d. 1899, Barry, Ill.
vi.JOHN JANUARY PORTER, b. 1821, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky; d. 1821, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky.
vii.MARGARET LINDSEY PORTER, b. 1814, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky; d. 1815, Powels River, Tn.

Generation No. 2

2. SUSAN I.2 PORTER (SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) (Source: Gene Maddox, All information for ancestors of Susan Porter are from Gene Maddox.) was born 1804 in Somerset, Pulaski, Ky. She married ARCHIBALD QUARLES 1831 in Pulaski Co., Ky, son of TUNGSTALL QUARLES and PAMELA STRINGER. He was born 1811 in Kentucky.

Notes for SUSAN I. PORTER:
Difference of opinion on birth date and marriage date. Gene Maddox found she was born 1812. Probably right if her parents got married in 1810. He says she got married in 1832

1860 Census for Barry , Ill. says she was born in Hunter City.Also, Mary E., Sophia, Nancy were born inn Hunter City.

Notes for ARCHIBALD QUARLES:
He was listed with the family in 1850 census in Barry, Ill. He was not listed in 1860, so he probably died between 1850 and 1860.

More About ARCHIBALD QUARLES:
Occupation: Laborer

More About ARCHIBALD QUARLES and SUSAN PORTER:
Marriage: 1831, Pulaski Co., Ky

Children of SUSAN PORTER and ARCHIBALD QUARLES are:
6.i.SALLY3 QUARLES.
7.ii.NANNY QUARLES.
iii.MARY QUARLES, d. MENTAL HOSP-JACKSONVIL.

Notes for MARY QUARLES:
1870 Census for Barry, Ill. lists her as a school teacher.

8.iv.ANN ELIZA QUARLES, b. 1833, SOMERSET, KY; d. HENNING, MINN.

3. ELIZA JANUARY2 PORTER (SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) was born January 05, 1811 in Somerset, Pulaski, Ky (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.), and died 1883 in Barry, Ill. She married ALFRED GRUBB 1827, son of JACOB GRUBB. He was born 1801 in Penn., and died April 18, 1867 in Barry, Ill..

More About ELIZA JANUARY PORTER:
Religion: Methodist Episcopal Church

Notes for ALFRED GRUBB:
1880 History Page 398. "Alfred Grubb was first Sheriff, then a member of the Legislature, then County Judge, and then admitted to the Bar, and practiced in the Courts. He had considerable legal knowledge, and was well versed in the rules of practice, but his natural ability was comparatively deficient."
Portrait and Biographical Record, Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri . He had four children by his first wife and twelve by his second, Eliza Porter.

More About ALFRED GRUBB:
Natives of: Bedford Co., Va and Pulaski Co., Ky respectively (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.)
Religion: Methodist Episcopal Church (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.)

More About ALFRED GRUBB and ELIZA PORTER:
Marriage: 1827

Children of ELIZA PORTER and ALFRED GRUBB are:
i.ALFRED3 GRUBB, b. 1828; d. 1841.
ii.SARAH P. GRUBB, b. 1828.
iii.SUSAN GRUBB, b. 1837.
iv.ELIZA M. GRUBB, b. 1838; d. 1841.
v.WILLIAM A. GRUBB, b. 1840.
vi.MAIRINA F. GRUBB, b. 1842; d. 1845.
vii.EMILY F. GRUBB, b. 1844.
viii.HENRY GRUBB, b. 1850.
ix.HENRIETTA GRUBB, b. 1850.
9.x.JOSEPH PORTER GRUBB, b. February 03, 1833, Pike Co., Ill..

4. WILLIAM LEE2 PORTER (SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) was born 1816 in Somerset, Pulaski, Ky (Source: 1872 Pike Co. Atlas.), and died 1872 in Pulaski,Co., Ky. He married MARY ANN OWNBY 1840 in Somerset, Pulaski, Ky. She was born 1822 in Adair, Ky, and died 1846 in Pike Co., Ill..

More About WILLIAM LEE PORTER:
Occupation: 1872, Baptist Minister

More About WILLIAM PORTER and MARY OWNBY:
Marriage: 1840, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky

Children of WILLIAM PORTER and MARY OWNBY are:
i.HENRY M.3 PORTER, b. 1841.
10.ii.ELIZABETH SARAH PORTER, b. September 26, 1842, Pike Co., Ill.; d. February 09, 1892, Pike Co., Ill..
iii.JOSEPH PORTER, b. 1844, Pike Co., Ill..
11.iv.MARY A. F. PORTER, b. 1840, Whitehall, Green Co., Ill.; d. 1922, Nebo, Pike co., Ill..

5. MALVINA F.2 PORTER (SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) was born 1819 in Somerset, Pulaski, Ky, and died 1899 in Barry, Ill. She married RICHARD HAM. He was born June 12, 1801, and died February 24, 1870 in Barry, Ill..

More About MALVINA F. PORTER:
Burial: Old Barry, Ill. Cemetery (Source: Tombstone.)

More About RICHARD HAM:
Burial: Old Barry, Ill. Cemetery

Children of MALVINA PORTER and RICHARD HAM are:
i.ALFRED3 HAM, b. January 23, 1846; d. October 13, 1870.

More About ALFRED HAM:
Burial: Old Barry, Ill. Cemetery

ii.JOSEPH P. HAM, b. September 10, 1842; d. August 10, 1849.

More About JOSEPH P. HAM:
Burial: Old Barry, Ill. Cemetery (Source: Tombstone.)

iii.WILLIAM P. HAM, b. February 25, 1841; d. June 17, 1863.

More About WILLIAM P. HAM:
Burial: Old Barry, Ill. Cemetery (Source: Tombstone.)

12.iv.STANALUS HAM, b. February 09, 1855; d. February 16, 1929.
v.EDWARD HAM, b. 1848.
vi.LIZZIE HAM, b. 1853.
vii.DELLA HAM, b. 1858.
viii.HENRY HAM, b. 1861.

Generation No. 3

6. SALLY3 QUARLES (SUSAN I.2 PORTER, SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) She married QUALLER DABNEY January 01, 1857 in Pike Co., Ill (Source: Illinoic Archives Marriage Records.).

More About SALLY QUARLES and QUALLER DABNEY:
Marriage: January 01, 1857, Pike Co., Ill (Source: Illinoic Archives Marriage Records.)

Children of SALLY QUARLES and QUALLER DABNEY are:
i.ROBERT4 DABNEY.
ii.DELLA DABNEY.

7. NANNY3 QUARLES (SUSAN I.2 PORTER, SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) She married PULASKI HAYES 1868, son of RICHARD HAYS and CATHARINE NLN. He was born April 13, 1845 in Franklin Co., Ohio (Source: 1880 Pike Co. History, 746.).

Notes for PULASKI HAYES:
In 1880 he owns 120 acres of land and is a Republican.

More About PULASKI HAYES:
Lived at: Sect 9, Hadly Township, Pike County, Illinois

More About PULASKI HAYES and NANNY QUARLES:
Marriage: 1868

Children of NANNY QUARLES and PULASKI HAYES are:
i.HARRY4 HAYES.
ii.CLARENCE HAYES.

8. ANN ELIZA3 QUARLES (SUSAN I.2 PORTER, SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) was born 1833 in SOMERSET, KY, and died in HENNING, MINN. She married WILLIAM HARTIPEE EDDINGFIELD October 04, 1855 in Pike Co., Illinois (Source: Illinoic Archives Marriage Records.), son of TOM EDDINGFIELD and JANE HARTUPEE. He was born 1822 in LANCASTER, OHIO, and died January 29, 1900 in CHICAGO, ILL.? (Source: Ill. State Death Index State Archives.).

Notes for ANN ELIZA QUARLES:
Known as Eliza.

Notes for WILLIAM HARTIPEE EDDINGFIELD:
A man named William H. Eddingfield died Jan. 29, 1900 in chicago age 72 years. Certificate No. 00004593 Cook Co. Someplace I have that he was born in 1822 which would have made him 78 in 1900. This might not be the correct person.

More About WILLIAM EDDINGFIELD and ANN QUARLES:
Marriage: October 04, 1855, Pike Co., Illinois (Source: Illinoic Archives Marriage Records.)

Children of ANN QUARLES and WILLIAM EDDINGFIELD are:
i.HARRIET ANN4 EDDINGFIELD, d. CALIFO; m. CHARLES H. WHITING, ST. PAUL, MINN; b. October 12, 1869.

More About CHARLES WHITING and HARRIET EDDINGFIELD:
Marriage: ST. PAUL, MINN

ii.NANNY LOUISE "LOUISE" EDDINGFIELD, m. (1) EMIL JECT; m. (2) DARLINGTON.
iii.SARAH CECELIA "SADIE" EDDINGFIELD, b. 1856, Illinois; d. Florida; m. FRANK BLAIR, June 19, 1878, BARRY, ILL. (Source: Illinoic Archives Marriage Records.); d. FLORIDA.

More About FRANK BLAIR and SARAH EDDINGFIELD:
Marriage: June 19, 1878, BARRY, ILL. (Source: Illinoic Archives Marriage Records.)

iv.WILLIAM ALBERT EDDINGFIELD, b. May 1857, Barry, Ill. (Source: Barry Adage Newspaper obit, Jan. 1, 1936.); d. TAPPIN, N.D.; m. OLIVE ALMIRA MURDOCK; b. December 03, 1866, MANTI, IOWA; d. April 28, 1950, TAPPEN, N.D..

Notes for WILLIAM ALBERT EDDINGFIELD:
June 2, 1900 census says he was 43 and single.

More About WILLIAM ALBERT EDDINGFIELD:
Address.: June 02, 1900, 3rd Ward; Lewis & Clark Co.; Helena City, Montana (Source: 1900 Census.)
Lived with: June 02, 1900, His brother Thomas B. (Source: 1900 Census.)
Occupation: June 02, 1900, Commercial Traveler (Source: 1900 Census.)

v.FREDRICK MILES EDDINGFIELD, b. December 16, 1858, BARRY, ILL?; d. April 07, 1923, at home at HULL, ILL; m. CORA ELLEN SPERRY, October 07, 1891; b. August 26, 1868, HULL, ILL; d. February 18, 1946, HANNIBAL, ILL.

Notes for FREDRICK MILES EDDINGFIELD:
Census taken July 10, 1860 says he was 6/12 of a year old. It lists his name as Fredrick.
He had diabetes. The day before he died he went to the bathroom and locked the door. He was too weak to open the door and could be seen setting on the toilet stool most of the day. He finally gained enough strength to open the door. He died early in the morning on Otellia's birthday. Grandma made all the kids go to church that day, but she stayed home.
He was a hired hand on the Barkley farm NE of Barry. Barkley were cousins of Great Grandpa James Sperry. Grandpa Sperry hired him. So, Grandma married the hired man.
He was very strong and could lift things no one else could lift.
When the old house burnt in 1915, he put a slate roof on the new one in 1918 so sparks from the furnance could not go up the chimmney and catch the roof on fire. Don replaced the slate roof about 2002 or 3.
He would hook up a slede to the horses and go to town and take everyone rides.
He was mean and would hit his kids and grandkids if they walked close enough to him. He didn't hit Owana and she always had good memories of him.
He blamed Uncle Bunch for the train accident that injured Aunt Juanita, Uncle Pugh, and Mom. Although Uncle Pugh was driving, Uncle Bunch was older. He new the pony cart was not supposed to go across the track to the school and he and Uncle Pugh took it over there. Since Uncle Bunch was the older, it was his fault. He was always mean to Uncle Bunch after that.
He nicknamed all his kids. The nick names was insults.

More About FREDRICK MILES EDDINGFIELD:
Burial: Kinderhook Illinois Cemetery
Cause of Death: diabetes
Occupation: Farmer

Notes for CORA ELLEN SPERRY:
She was sick all winter from heart trouble before she died. Mom went out every day and stayed with her while Aunt Trula went to Hannibal to Oakwood to teach school. I (ww) was in first grade and had to ride out there after school with Miss Tolen. Ed and David weren't in school and played together all day.
She was a very good cook. She played the piano for church until Otellia was old enough to play. She was president of the bank for a few years after her father died. She didn't think it proper for a woman to be president and put Uncle Pugh in as president. However, she still ran the bank.
Each Sunday afternoon everyone in the family close enough went to her house. She lived alone there with Aunt Trula and her maid, Miss Rimby. It was a command performance. Donald Ray didn't go up from the weaning house one Sunday. She ask where he was and after being told they were coming, said I want him here, go get him. So Uncle Pugh went down across the field and got them. Don told me they never stayed home again. I (ww) was small and thought it was fun to go there with so many people and kids to play with. They'd have home made ice cream or watermelons. Sometime in the afternoon, they'd tell all us kids to be quiet if it was winter, or go outside and play if it was summer. "Mother's resting." Sometimes someone would come out on the east porch and tell us to be quieter. "Mother's resting."
Her parents were very wealthy. She took several of the kids to Long Beach, Cal., twice in the winter to spend the winter at her father's winter home. In the summer he lived in Hull.
The farm was the "Sperry" farm until Grandpa Eddingfield took it over. They had to buy the farm from her parents. About 1910 they got the deed as a Christmas present.

When she died, she was placed in the small twin bed in the library wearing a bluish purple dress with little flowers on it. She wore it a lot. The cover was pulled up and her hands were on top of the cover as if she was asleep. We (ww) kids would run and chase each other and climb over Grandma. Someone thought they should stop us. Mom (Otellia) said we climbed over her when she was alive, so what was wrong with it and we were not stopped. He body was placed in the casket after the family left for the church and the only time the family saw her in the casket was at the church. Her casket was open. After the funeral, a cousin of Grandpa's (ww) bent over and kissed her. That frightened me.

More About CORA ELLEN SPERRY:
Burial: Kinderhook Illinois Cemetery
Cause of death (Facts Pg): February 18, 1946, Heart trouble
Day of Death: Monday
Day of Funeral: Thursday
Medical (Facts Pg): Probably had Extreme Tremor

More About FREDRICK EDDINGFIELD and CORA SPERRY:
Marriage: October 07, 1891

vi.THOMAS BUTLER EDDINGFIELD, b. August 1861, Barry, Ill. (Source: 1900 Census.); d. 1911.

Notes for THOMAS BUTLER EDDINGFIELD:
From: The Quincy Daily Whig; Date: 1882, Sept 10
Thomas Eddingfield, of Barry, will soon travel in the interest of messrs. Clark & Morgan.

More About THOMAS BUTLER EDDINGFIELD:
Address.: June 02, 1900, 3rd Ward; Lewis & Clark Co.; Helena City, Montana (Source: 1900 Census.)
Divorced: June 02, 1900 (Source: 1900 Census.)
Lived with: June 02, 1900, His brother Albert (Source: 1900 Census.)
Occupation: June 02, 1900, Commercial Traveler (Source: 1900 Census.)

vii.MARY EMMA (MAMIE) EDDINGFIELD, b. January 31, 1870, Barry, Ill. (Source: Johnnie McDaniel Sr..); d. August 02, 1959, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie Co., Iowa (Source: Johnnie McDaniel Sr..); m. JOHN WALLACE ANDERSON; b. 1861, Iowa (Source: Johnnie McDaniel Sr..); d. September 11, 1925, COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA.

Notes for MARY EMMA (MAMIE) EDDINGFIELD:
She went by Daisy and was know to her family as Daisy E.

More About MARY EMMA (MAMIE) EDDINGFIELD:
Burial: August 05, 1959, Cedar lawn Cem. Sect. Crest Lawn, Lot 283, Grave 5, Council Bluffs, Ia. (Source: Ellen Anderson.)

More About JOHN WALLACE ANDERSON:
Burial: Cotten Cemetery Hastings, Mills Co., Iowa
Cause of Death: Had an operation a week before he died.
Died at: jennie Edmondson Hospital, Council Bluffs
Occupation 1: Farmer (Source: Johnnie McDaniel Sr..)
Occupation 2: Lutheran Minister

viii.SUSAN JANUARY EDDINGFIELD, b. March 08, 1871, BARRY, ILL; d. March 22, 1956, CLITHERALL, MINN; m. ALMON WHITING, May 1897, HENNING TOWNSHIP; b. December 05, 1873, OLD CLILTHERALL, MINN; d. April 28, 1957.

More About ALMON WHITING and SUSAN EDDINGFIELD:
Marriage: May 1897, HENNING TOWNSHIP

ix.HENRY NEWTON (HARRY) EDDINGFIELD, b. March 11, 1874, Barry, Ill. (Source: Denise Ottoson.); d. 1957, SEATTLE, WASH; m. HENRIETTA SCOONOVER (Source: Denise Ottoson.), May 17, 1905, Seattle, King Co., Wa (Source: Denise Ottoson.); b. March 18, 1879, Polk Co., Ia.

Notes for HENRY NEWTON (HARRY) EDDINGFIELD:
Denise Ottoson says he died Jan. 9, 1962 in Los Angeles Co., Ca. She says his residence was: 1930 Inglewood, Los Angeles Co., Ca. Her souce for death was Cal. Death Records. Her source for residence was 1930 Federal Census.

More About HENRY EDDINGFIELD and HENRIETTA SCOONOVER:
Marriage: May 17, 1905, Seattle, King Co., Wa (Source: Denise Ottoson.)

9. JOSEPH PORTER3 GRUBB (ELIZA JANUARY2 PORTER, SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.) was born February 03, 1833 in Pike Co., Ill. (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.). He married CORA A. KEEDY October 1857 in St. Joseph, Mo. (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.), daughter of DANIEL G. KEEDY.

Notes for JOSEPH PORTER GRUBB:
Third child of his parents. Source-Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.
LIved on homestead farm in Illinois until 17 years old, then became a clerk in a country store for several years. In 1853 he went to Weston, Mo., by boat and worked for D. & T.D.S. McDonnell, general merchants as bookkeeper for a year. Then he went to St. Louis and engaged in general commission business. In 1855 he began reading law with ex-Governor Silas Woodson and Bela M. Hughes, of Denver, Colo. He was admitted to the bar in 1856

More About JOSEPH PORTER GRUBB:
Occupation: Lawyer and Judge-Buchanan Co., Missouri

More About JOSEPH GRUBB and CORA KEEDY:
Marriage: October 1857, St. Joseph, Mo. (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.)

Children of JOSEPH GRUBB and CORA KEEDY are:
i.JOSEPH4 GRUBB.
ii.CECELIA K. GRUBB, m. C. A. TANEY.

More About C. A. TANEY:
Occupation: Wholesale dealer in Texas (Source: Portrait & Biographical Record, Buchanan & Clinton Counties, Missouri.)

10. ELIZABETH SARAH3 PORTER (WILLIAM LEE2, SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) was born September 26, 1842 in Pike Co., Ill., and died February 09, 1892 in Pike Co., Ill.. She married (1) JOHN RAINWATER 1857 in W. L. Porter residence. He was born 1838 in Pulaski Co., Ky, and died 1863. She married (2) BENJAMIN C. LINDSEY 1867 in Pike Co., Ill. He was born September 26, 1815 in Scott, Ky, and died January 29, 1895 in Pike Co., Ill..

More About ELIZABETH SARAH PORTER:
Burial: Shearer Cemetery, New Canton, Ill. (Source: Tombstone.)

More About JOHN RAINWATER and ELIZABETH PORTER:
Marriage: 1857, W. L. Porter residence

More About BENJAMIN C. LINDSEY:
Burial: Shearer Cemetery, New Canton, Ill. (Source: Tombstone.)

More About BENJAMIN LINDSEY and ELIZABETH PORTER:
Marriage: 1867, Pike Co., Ill

Children of ELIZABETH PORTER and JOHN RAINWATER are:
i.JAMES HENRY4 RAINWATER (Source: Tombstone.), b. December 11, 1855, Somerset, Pulaski, Ky; d. May 13, 1917, New Canton, Ill.; m. SARAH E. CREWS, 1884, Quincy, Ill; b. 1862, Middleton, Montgomery, Mo.`; d. 1971, Pike Co., Ill..

More About JAMES HENRY RAINWATER:
Burial: Shearer Cemetery, New Canton, Ill.
Occupation: MD

More About SARAH E. CREWS:
Burial: Shearer Cemetery, New Canton, Ill. (Source: Tombstone.)

More About JAMES RAINWATER and SARAH CREWS:
Marriage: 1884, Quincy, Ill

ii.JOHN ENOCH RAINWATER, b. 1861, Pike Co., Ill.; d. 1942; m. MARY ANN FOTTE; b. 1862; d. 1944, Cal..

More About JOHN ENOCH RAINWATER:
Occupation: MD

iii.MARY FRANCIS RAINWATER, b. 1863; d. 1863.

Children of ELIZABETH PORTER and BENJAMIN LINDSEY are:
iv.LUCY BELL4 LINDSEY, b. September 29, 1875; d. January 19, 1889.

More About LUCY BELL LINDSEY:
Burial: Shearer Cemetery, New Canton, Ill. (Source: Tombstone.)

v.EMMA LINDSEY, b. 1870.
vi.HARVEY P. LINDSEY, b. 1879; d. 1889.

11. MARY A. F.3 PORTER (WILLIAM LEE2, SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) (Source: Gene Maddox.) was born 1840 in Whitehall, Green Co., Ill., and died 1922 in Nebo, Pike co., Ill.. She married (1) MOSES LINDSEY. He was born 1843 in Ohio, and died 1930 in Soldiers and Sailors Hhome Quincy, Ill. She married (2) JOHN D. MADDOX 1862 in Nebo, Pike Co., Illinois. He was born 1846 in Whitehall, Green Co., Ill., and died 1904 in Denver, Arapaho, Col..

More About JOHN MADDOX and MARY PORTER:
Marriage: 1862, Nebo, Pike Co., Illinois

Children of MARY PORTER and JOHN MADDOX are:
i.WILLIAM BENJAMIN4 MADDOX, b. 1864, Time, Pike Co., Ill.; d. 1917, Denver, Col.; m. IDA M. KING; b. 1870; d. 1952.
ii.HENRY PORTER MADDOX, b. 1866, Time, Pike Co., Ill.; d. 1914, Denver, Arapaho, Col.; m. CARRIE D. NYE, 1891, Pike Co., Ill; b. December 28, 1868, Ill; d. October 14, 1910, Denver, Arapaho, Col..

More About CARRIE D. NYE:
Burial: Shearer Cemetery, New Canton, Ill. (Source: Tombstone.)

More About HENRY MADDOX and CARRIE NYE:
Marriage: 1891, Pike Co., Ill

iii.CHARLES MADDOX, b. 1867, Time, Pike Co., Ill..

Notes for CHARLES MADDOX:
Died young.

iv.ORON CHAUNCY MADDOX, b. 1871, Time, Pike Co., Ill; d. 1944, Quincy, Adams Co., Ill; m. EFFIE L. KINDER, 1895; b. 1874, Kinderhook, Ill.; d. 1947, Kinderhook, Ill..

More About ORON CHAUNCY MADDOX:
Name 2: Oron Chauncy Maddox
Date born 2: 1871, Time, Pike Co., Ill.
Died 2: 1944, Quincy, Ill
Burial 1: Kinderhoo, Ill.
Burial 2: Kinderhook Cemetery, Kinderhook, Ill

More About EFFIE L. KINDER:
Name 2: Effie L. Kinder
Died 2: 1947, Kinderhook, Ill
Burial 1: Kinderhook Cemetery
Burial 2: Kinderhook Cemetery, Kinderhook, Ill

More About ORON MADDOX and EFFIE KINDER:
Marriage 1: 1895
Marriage 2: 1895, Pike Co., Ill

12. STANALUS3 HAM (MALVINA F.2 PORTER, SARAH (SALLY)1 JANUARY) was born February 09, 1855, and died February 16, 1929. He married EMILY F. NLN. She was born December 05, 1853, and died April 28, 1929.

More About STANALUS HAM:
Burial: Park Lawn Cemetery, Barry, Ill. (Source: Tombstone.)

More About EMILY F. NLN:
Burial: Park Lawn Cemetery, Barry, Ill. (Source: Tombstone.)

Child of STANALUS HAM and EMILY NLN is:
i.MABEL4 HAM, m. EDWIN O'BRIEN; d. July 07, 1974.

More About EDWIN O'BRIEN:
Age at death (Facts Pg): 76 years (Source: Tombstone.)

This thread: