ILPOPE-L Archives

Archiver > ILPOPE > 2006-02 > 1141180465

From: "Judy Armstrong" <>
Subject: Re: [ILPOPE-L] VAUGHN, Pope County
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:34:25 -0800

Joanne, I don't know if this is relevant, but don't bypass researching
people in the 1800s just because they were listed as "colored." I was told
that the Indians who came to Pope County during the "Trail of Tears" were
sometimes listed as "colored" in censuses and other official records. There
were a number of orphaned Cherokee children who were fostered by Pope County
families and raised as adopted children, and many of them were listed in
official recordes as either indentured servants or "colored." So some of the
Vaughns who were listed as "colored" could have been Cherokee orphans who
were fostered in Vaughn families.

Judy Armstrong
Tiburon CA