ILSALINE-L Archives

Archiver > ILSALINE > 1999-10 > 0939336480

From: Helen Graves <>
Subject: Re: [ILSALINE-L] RUDE/BAKER/HINDS
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:48:00 -0700

Pat's right... my previous posting about Elizabeth, dau of William Alvis RUDE as
marrying Leonidas HINDS was wrong. Wrong Elizabeth Rude -- please note this
correction. I looked at an old group sheet in my files and posted a reply too
quickly. That old group sheet will trick me no more, I pitched it out and
replaced it with the current one from my FTM program.

Here's the right info: Harry (sometimes called Harvey) RUDE was the son of
Jesse E. RUDE and Julia Ann McCREARY. According to the research of Jerry
Williams, Harry was born 3 Sept 1839 in IL and married Elizabeth BAKER on 18 May
1859 in Saline Co. He enlisted to serve in the Civil War (Co. Be 31st Inf. of
Ill), contracted measles, and died on 8 Nov 1861. (Illinois Adjutants Report of
Illinois).

Some years ago I corresponded with a descendant of this marriage -- she
descended from their daughter Eliza J. She sent me a copy of Harry's obituary.
Since that time I have moved and some of my old genie correspondence files are
still in boxes, so her letter and the obit are probably in one of these boxes.

The 1860 Saline Co census (in Harrisburg) lists Harry Rude, age 22, with wife
Elizabeth 22, and a daughter Eliza J. (I don't think there were other children,
only this one daughter.)

According to Jerry Williams' research, Eliza J. Rude (b. 1860) died in 1946 and
is buried in the Bankston Church Cem, Saline Co. She married Washington Powell
HIBBS on 29 Aug 1876 in Saline Co., both were residents of Cottage twp. Listed
was bride's mother as being Elizabeth Hinds and her guardian was listed as being
a Wm G. Sloan. (Have no idea who Sloan is and why he was the guardian; this info
is from Jerry Williams, not my research.)

Per JW's research, the 1870 census of Cottage twp., Saline Co., has Leonidas
HINDS, his wife Elizabeth, and living with them was Eliza J. Rude, age 10. JW
further states that Eliza J. HIBBS (ne Rude) was listed as being an heir of
Jesse E. RUDE as his grandchild (which she was).

Per JW, the children of Washington P. HIBBS and Eliza J. RUDE were: Annie,
Harvey, Eva, and Jessie. Jerry Williams has more info on these HIBBS children.
Washington P. HIBBS died in 1937 and is also buried in the Bankstone Cem.
Contact me if you would like me to post more HIBBS info from Jerry Williams.

So, please ignore my earlier posting to the list as to which Elizabeth Rude
married Leonidas Hinds. The correct Elizabeth who married HINDS was Elizabeth
Baker, the widow of Harry/Harvey M. RUDE (son of Jesse E. RUDE). -- Helen Graves

wrote:

> I found an Elizabeth Baker marring Harry Rude August 7, 1859 in the Saline
> County Marriages 1847-1880.
>
> Patricia Mitchell
> Joliet, Il
> E-mail: