ILWABASH-L Archives

Archiver > ILWABASH > 2008-12 > 1229919448

From: <>
Subject: Re: [ILWABASH] Bygone County Cemeteries?
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:17:28 -0500

Regarding the sensitive subject--- my gr-grandpa (Jacob Zuber) was
buried in 1911 at St. Joe Cemetery in Evansville. He died at the Little
Sisters of the Poor and had a pauper funeral. When his daughter came in
from CA that same year, the daughter insisted he be disinterred and buried
into a Hermann family plot, where his mother and sister were buried. The
info from St. Joe states he was buried in a wooden box. He may have been
embalmed, I do not know that. Embalming was begun to ship Civil War
soldiers home-- usually the officers. The poor soldiers were simply
buried near where they died.
You might do a google search on burial vault usage-- or some of the
other questions. As to how long a body will last in the wooden box,
guess it depends on the soils type, the number of bacteria in the soil,
etc. I would say if they have been there 100 years, there may not be
anything there.
There is a gal who can witch a grave who works in our records room at
the courthouse (Jasper, IN).
I was along and actually watched her. She used two copper (I think)
wires shaped like an L. On the short ends she had a wooden dowel for each
hand. The wires could freely move, you did not touch the wires. She
walked along a known cemetery row and when she was above the grave, the
wires would move inward and cross. The would uncross when she left the
grave site. I tried it, and it would not work for me. Another
lady was along and it did work for her, but only one wire would move.
The lady doing the witching thought you had to have a certain acidity or
akalineness in your body. She has been called to find older cemeteries
in a field, and always has success. Of course no one has dug down to
check. Many of the older cemeteries only had a stone for a marker, no
actual tombstone. If you are interested in her method, you can call
her in the archive room at the court house. But she may be off this week
due to Christmas.
A few years back I actually went on a grave hunting mission on this old
cemetery in KY that flooded from the Ohio River usually yearly. We had
a long metal rod with a handel at the top and would stick the rod into the
ground. The person who did it did have permission. The ground had to
be soft for it to work best. There were tree roots everywhere, but we
did hear the stone clunk of a buried tombstone. It was a daughter (that
I did not have) of my ggg uncle.
As to body removals-- in the mid 1970's, many many older cemeteries
were moved to make way for Patoka Lake. I had heard the stories that
the diggers were isolated from the rest of the people until a cemetery was
done. I would guess that would have had to have had metal probs to
search, but I am sure that there are many who were missed and are
peacefully resting on the bottom of Patoka Lake. Some of the old
cemeteries did not have any names of those buried there-- some might be
lucky enough to have had a tombstone.
Good luck.