INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ > 2006-05 > 1149028876

From: Nick Forrest <>
Subject: Re: [The Raj] Early Indian Flag - Congress Party flag
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 08:41:16 +1000

Not impressed with comments such as 'probably confiscated by a Brit.'
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the British being in the sub
continent the flag was a symbol of indepence and a rallying point for
the local population. It was taken down to defuse a potentially
confrontational situation.

I now realise that I failed to describe the flag fully. When I said
spinning wheel I did not mean the Chakra but a spinning wheel that
actually spins cloth.

I will delve further into my father's papers more to try and find out
more about its origin.

Nick Forrest
Australia

This thread: