INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ > 2006-05 > 1149069457

From: "Mandeep Singh Bajwa" <>
Subject: Re: [The Raj] Early Indian Flag - Congress Party flag
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:27:37 +0530

There's no need for both Indians and British to be so touchy about events
that took place a long while ago.We need to discuss the historical
perspective rather than fight the War of Independence all over again.

There seems to be some sort of confusion between the words 'Chakra' which
means wheel as in the Dharma Chakra and 'Charkha' which means spinning wheel
and which was Gandhiji's symbol of protest against the British Empire.

Please Nick do let us know more about where this incident happened, what
unit your father was serving in and the unit from which the personnel were
who hoisted the flag.

Mandeep