INDIA-ROYALTY-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA-ROYALTY > 2006-03 > 1142658729

From: pabitra saha <>
Subject: RE: [INDIA-ROYALTY] Zamindars
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 05:12:09 +0000 (GMT)

Can someone send me the copy of this paper.

Gregor, you might find something of interest in the book
"The decline of the Bengal Zamindars - Midnapore 1870-1920 by Chitta Panda, Oxford University Press, Delhi 1996, ISBN 0 19 563295 8

Taluqdars of Awadh ( 430 in number) are of similar interest although they were not so colourful persona. They have not been affected by abolition of Zamindari since they got their land titles from Oudh ( Awadh ) Estates Act, 1869.

P.K.Saha

Gregor Roy Chowdhury <> wrote:

I found some useful information re Zamindars. It contains for exmple a
list of the 15 largest Zamindaris in Bengal.

Ray, Ratnalekha. "The Bengal Zamindars: Local Magnates and the State
Before the Permanent Settlement." Indian Economic and Social History
Review 12, no. 3 (1975): 263-92

Does anybody where I could find information on smaller zamindaris in now
Bangladesh?

G. Roy Chowdhury