INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 1999-02 > 0919724399

From: Pamela Campbell <>
Subject: 21st FUSILIERS
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:59:59 +0000

hello Listers

This is my first posting to this list. I am hoping some kind soul might
be able to give me some help and advice.
I am trying to find information on ROBERT DEANS.
My G-grandfather JAMES DEANS is shown in the 1881 census for Cardiff as
being born in India (Br Subject). Until yesterday this was as much as I
knew, so felt unable to proceed further. Yesterday I discovered what I
hope will be a major break through! Whilst transcribing 1861 census for
Cardiff I came across a ROBERT DEANS, who I am hoping will turn out to
be JAMES' father!
The census gives Robert's occupation as "pensioner 21st fusiliers"
born Scotland.
Is the 21st Fusiliers now the Royal Scots Fusiliers? Would they
have
been in India about 1840 (the approximate year of James' birth), and
what part of India is this likely to have been? Is there any way I can
find out more other than a visit ti PRO at Kew?
I would be grateful for any help or hint on this subject.

Regards Pam Campbell
--
Researching:
DEANS, DONOHUE, EMBRY, WILLIAMS (Glam) HOPKINS, KEEN, KITE (Kent)

This thread: