INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 2000-03 > 0954088732

From: "JillGrey" <>
Subject: Re: 31st Regiment of Foot
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:38:52 +0100

Bruce Graham asked ...

>Anyone researching the activities of the 31st Regiment of
>Foot? They served in India from about 1825

Not in depth, but I noticed that the Regiment was seriously affected by
an outbreak of cholera at Kurnaul, Bengal, between July and September
1832. The burial record for Alexander McCombie (Numero Uno)'s 16 year
old daughter in July didn't give a cause of death, but her name was
surrounded by those of many young soldiers in the 31st who'd died of
cholera. Her widowed husband continued to serve with the Regiment and
still at Kurnaul, remarried in December. His new wife, 19 year old Agnes
CUFF, was a widow whose soldier-husband had been a victim of the
epidemic.

Jill

This thread: