INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 2002-03 > 1015949814

From: "Gilly Taylor" <>
Subject: [India-L] Re: PHILLIPS Family in India circa 1890
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:16:54 -0000

My Grandmother Annie Bertha Josephine PHILLIPS born in India 18 Aug 1890.

Her Father, Herbert PHILLIPS + wife (unknown), arrived India pre-1890.
He was a mining engineer, possibly employed as similar in India.
Believe PHILLIPS's originated in Nottinghamshire; may be links to Derbyshire.

>From India Herbert PHILLIPS, wife + Annie went to South Africa circa 1891-1893,
where he worked as mining engineer + managed a gold mine near Johannesburg.

Herbert's wife died in SA circa 1900; he died a few months later (possibly 1902).

Annie Bertha Josephine PHILLIPS returned to Nottinghamshire (possibly Bulwell) to live with aunts and cousins - probably PHILLIPS.

Can anyone help, please, re:
* any locations where a mining engineer's skills were used?
* passage to India and India-to-Africa?
* birth/christening record for Annie Bertha Josephine PHILLIPS?

Many Thanks
Gilly Taylor
Nottinghamshire, ENGLAND

This thread: