INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 2002-03 > 1016094818

From: "malcolm-speirs" <>
Subject: [India-L] Residents at Gwalior
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:33:38 -0000

I wonder if anyone out there can help. My ancestor, Alexander Speirs, was British Resident at Gwalior between 1839 and 1843, and there was a portrait of him at the Residency, last seen by my family at the Residency in about 1930.
Since Independence, the Residency has been converted to an Army Officers' mess, and there are no portraits there. I had also tried asking the Secretary to HH Maharaja Scindia (before the latter's tragic death in a plane crash last year) whether the portrait had been deposited in the Palace at Gwalior, which now contains a museum, but he was unable to locate it.
Now I realise that tracking down one portrait could be an impossible task. But since then I have come across the following letter from the Resident at Gwalior in 1924, detailing the fact that he had already collected the portraits of 47 Residents and was tracing 11 others (including my ancestor's No 22). Now I think it reasonable to presume that all these portraits are together in one place. Any-one got any ideas where? or whether there is any Cultural Body in India which collects such data?
Malcolm Speirs,
near Cambridge, England

>From - W.E. Jardine, Esquire, C.I.E., I.C.S.,

Resident at Gwalior,

To - The Political Secretary to the Government of India, Foreign and Political Department, Delhi,

Memorandum, 26A

Dated, Gwalior Residency, the 22nd January 1924.

Of the fifty eight Residents at Gwalior since 1782 - vide the list attached, - I have succeeded in collecting the portraits of forty seven.

2. These forty seven portraits I shall have much pleasure in presenting to the Gwalior Residency - as also a portrait of His Majesty the King in the uniform of the 18th Tiwana Lancers and of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, - if the Government of India will be pleased to accept them and have them kept as at present in the dinning (sic) room of the Residency for which in size and style they and their frames have been designed.

3. The eleven portraits which I have not so far been able to trace are those numbered 2,5,10,12, 13, 15, 18, 19, 21, 22 and 25. Of these I have the family's authority for saying that No 2 does not exist; about six others, Nos. 5,10, 12, 13, 19 and 22 I am still in correspondence and they too I shall be glad to present in the same condition when obtained.

4. I trust that if the Government of India accept this collection my successors will keep it up to date by regularly adding theirs.

W.E.J

Resident at Gwalior.

Residents at Gwalior

in

chronological order

1. Mr David Anderson 1782

2. Lieut. James Anderson 1785

3. Captain William Kirkpatrick 1786

4. Major William Palmer 1791

5. Colonel John Collins 1795

6. Sir John Malcolm 1803

7. Mr Josiah Webbe 1804

8. Sir Richard Jenkins 1805

9. Mr Robert Close 1808,

1816-18

1821-24

10. Mr Graeme Mercer 1810

11. Sir Charles Theophilus Metcalfe

Afterwards Lord Metcalfe 1810

12. Sir Richard Strachey 1811

1818

1823

13. Mr Gerald Wellesley 1815-16

14. Captain Josiah Stewart 1818-21

1821-26

1826-28

15. Captain Johnstone (offg) 1822

16. Colonel George Feilding 1829

1831

17. Sir John Low 1831

18. Major John Dixon Dyke 1832

19. The Hon'ble Richard Cavendish 1832

20. Colonel John Sutherland 1835

21. Captain Dundas 1837

22. Colonel Alexander Speirs 1838

23. Colonel Sir William Henry Sleeman 1843

24. Colonel Sir Richmond Shakespear Bart. 1844

1849

25. Captain D. Ross 1848

26. General Sir Henry Marion Durand, R.E. 1849

27. Major Duncan A. Malcolm 1852

28. Major Samuel Charters Macpherson 1854

29. General Sir Richard John Meade 1859

30. Colonel Richard Harte Keatings 1862

31. Colonel A.R.E. Hutchinson 1863-67

32. General Sir Henry Dermot Daly 1867

33. Colonel Charles L. Showers 1868

34. General Sir Crawford Trotter Chamberlain 1869

35. Major Eugene Clutterbuck Impey 1872

36. Colonel John William Willoughby Osborne 1874

1880

37. General Sir John Watson 1877

1882

38. Colonel William Tweedie 1877

1882

39. Colonel Ptrick W. Bannerman 1882

1884

1887

40. Major General James Cavan Berkeley 1883

41. Colonel Sir D.W. Barr 1886

1888

42. Colonel John Biddulph 1892

43. Colonel Edward Swarman Reynolds 1893

44. Colonel Sir Donald Robertson 1894

1896

45. Lt. Col. Charles Withers Ravenshaw 1895

46. Major Ivor Mac Iver 1896

47. Lt. Col. Joseph Henry Newill 1897

48. Lt. Col. Thomas Caldwell Pears 1897

1901

49. Lt. Col Charles Herbert 1901

1904

50. Major Charles Hamerton Pritchard 1902

51. Sir Stuart Mitford Fraser 1904

52. Mr Henry Venn Cobb 1904

1907

53. Major Herbert Showers 1907

54. Sir Alexander Fleetwood Pinhey 1907

55. Lt. Col. Charles Arnold Kemball 1909

1912

56. Mr William Ellis Jardine 1912-24

57. Lt. Col. Francis Granville Beville 1914

58. Mr. Edward Herbert Kealy 1922

This thread: